Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Plastic Windshield Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This prompted me to go out and look at the one on my car. Sure enough it has a small crack on the passenger side of this trim part about 5 inches in from the edge, not cracked all the way through but about 1 1/2 inches. But I also noticed that the rubber seal strip against the windshield is not tight to the glass. I did have my windshield replaced a year ago and the techs who did it seemed Land Rover ignorant and broke several of the clips on the side trim covers that go along the fram between the windshield and the door frame. Haven't noticed a wet spot on the carpet but I did see that my car books in the glove box were all stuck together as if they got soaked and dried out. Wonder if I am getting occasional water in a heavy rain?

Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have mine apart working to get it back in one piece and do some reinforcing on the back side as well. Since mine was broken, I pulled it out in the two pieces and pulled it down and away from the A-Pillar plastic covers. I decided to unbolt the hood, drop the hood prop, and then just slide the hood forward a little to get room to work. I have never had my hood loose or removed, that was SO easy.

QUESTION: Is there anyway to get the repaired shroud/cowl/plenum fresh air intake repaired piece back in without removing the A-Pillar exterior plastic covers? Possible to slide it up from the bottom side and flex it a little to get it into place without breaking it again?

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 09-21-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshman
The kicker is that the same part for the LR3 and LR4 (which look similar, but are not an exact match) are only $79 at AB. Not sure why the D2 equivalent costs almost 3x as much.

Mine is cracked int he middle, but I am not convinced that the center crack can actually let water into the truck. I think it would just roll out from the hood/engine compartment. I used some windshield adhesive of some sort (different post on here) to glue the rubber seal along the top down to the cowl and glass. That is where the water seems to be able to get through.
Because places like AB and others are trying to get as much money out of you and I as they can. The DII is the best selling Land Rover ever made. It's a 10 year old car now so most parts do not compare to LR3 or LR4 prices but they try to ****** your wallet when they can.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
I have mine apart working to get it back in one piece and do some reinforcing on the back side as well. Since mine was broken, I pulled it out in the two pieces and pulled it down and away from the A-Pillar plastic covers. I decided to unbolt the hood, drop the hood prop, and then just slide the hood forward a little to get room to work. I have never had my hood loose or removed, that was SO easy.

QUESTION: Is there anyway to get the repaired shroud/cowl/plenum fresh air intake repaired piece back in without removing the A-Pillar exterior plastic covers? Possible to slide it up from the bottom side and flex it a little to get it into place without breaking it again?
I didn't see a response to your post here, but where you able to slide the cowl up from the bottom? I had the same question here.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

FYI, I have a used cowl in stock off one of the DII's I'm currently parting. It is in great shape except for one of the four plastic clips that secure the cowl to the lower windshield is broken. Otherwise, it fits well with no cracks or other issues. Because they are so large and delicate shipping tends to be expensive. The part itself is $125.00. If anyone's interested in a good cowl let me know.