Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blinker problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blinker problem

Hey all, I have a 95 disco. Recently when I turn the headlight switch on the driver side blinker comes on and remains on. The passenger side blinker works if I click it on but the driver side does not. The relay is making buzzing and clicking sounds under the dash. Relay bad? Any other thoughts. Thank you.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have a short somewhere. The headlights and switch should be independant of the headlights.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Drifting

I thought if you had a burnt out turn signal bulb the turn signal indicator in the dash remains lit.

Or your blinker fluid is low.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Three Wheeling

crap, blinker fluid, where do you get that? http://www.kalecoauto.com/? lol nice try. so here are my issues:
when I turn the headlights on via the **** on the side of the steering wheel the blinker light on the dash stays on. outside the truck the driver side blinker is solid on. but the passenger side blinker works, but driver side stays on all the while.
when I have the head lights turned off I can use both the driver and passenger blinker, but when using the driver blinker all the interior dash lights come on and the driving lights outside the vehicle come on and blink with the blinker.
I asked autozone if they had replacement blinker flashers (thats their 'technical' name) and told him my issue, he thinks that my blinker/headlight know assembly is going bad.
that is alright with me cause I wanted to go to the junk yard and rummage through some more discos for parts.
does that sound like a logical problem?
should I pick up one of those assemblies and a flasher or two?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It may be the stalk. If you are out and about, it would be a good thing to try. I wouldn't think the flasher relay would cause it, but grab one while you are there.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Three Wheeling

I scored!
got two flashers, the stalk piece, trailer light wiring kits thingy, and a motor and gear assembly for my broken sunroof for 50$ !!! (at a pull yard)
going to replace the stalk, if that doesn't cut it I'll replace the flasher also.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Three Wheeling

now I'm really confused, no change with new stalk, no change with new flasher (new meaning from a 99 at a yard). I'm lost now, don't know what else it could be.
anything at all? I'll try everything now.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I can even pull the fuse and the driver side comes on constant with the driving lights and headlights. all I can think now is wires touching but I have NO idea where!!!
any help please!!!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Three Wheeling

any senior members want to give this a shot? Please?!?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 97 Disco I that I have haf for about three years. I ran into the previous owner one day at a local Chinese buffet .

He told me he had severalk problems with shorts in the front fog lamps. He had taken it to the dealership and that they had to disconnect some things.

I later found one of the fog lamps was burned severely, with part of the socket and reflector melted away. The CD player under the passengers seat had shorted out as well and been replaced.

I started doing some work on the vehicle and discovered the wire harness overwrap was severely decomposing and the wiring looked pretty funky. Having been a Aviation Electrician in the US Navy, I decided the just disconnect one item qt a time and start re-wrapping and re-routing the worst of the bundles.

The horns had mud and corrosion inside of them. I took all that off and cleaned them up. I am planning on possibly changing where the horns mount. I have removed the factory brush guard due to corrosion. I also removed all the plastic air dam and such from the front bumper.

The factory splices are attrocious as far as electrical assemblies go. Multiple splices are contained within the bundles are not well insulated. Some even showed corrsion on them. They have bare metal crimps with pitiful electrical tape overwrap. The tape degrades with age.

If the Previous Owner of your Disco did much water crossing or driving in mudholes, you may have some nasty corrsion and shorts contributing to your dilema.

Good Luck to you.

Quick Reply: blinker problem