Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinkers do not like the cold. Wrong blinker fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Blinkers do not like the cold. Wrong blinker fluid?

Joking aside, on cold days my blinkers do not like to blink. Before I go ordering a new relay, anyone else have this? I'm not quite sure if it is a relay or something else. I have never had a relay be slow because of cold before honestly. It is 100% normal when warm, or after the truck warms up a bit, but when cold you hit the turn signal and you get a solid delay of maybe 2-5 seconds (or long enough to already have completed your turn pretty much). Being it is the only thing that is slow to respond, it has me thinking maybe it is an issue in the stalk and not a relay, but wanted to see if anyone had an experience like this.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to get some 0W blinker fluid, you've probably got some 40W in there now and its just too cold, cant blink fast enough... lol

Relays usually either work or they dont, id have to go with the stalk. I had a similar problem with a previous car that did the same thing.. and was the stalk..

Old 12-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If lovely assistant or a mirror can assist and see if light come on steady but don't blink, might be corrosion of the base around the bulbs, it can make odd resistance when temp changes. A higher resistance would mean less current, and at some point the blinker believes that one of the bulbs is burned out, so it would just stay on steady. The stalk is also suspect as it warms up with the inside of the car. Could test with lovely assistant's hair dryer on low....

BTW, hows that coolant sensor?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If lovely assistant or a mirror can assist and see if light come on steady but don't blink, might be corrosion of the base around the bulbs, it can make odd resistance when temp changes. A higher resistance would mean less current, and at some point the blinker believes that one of the bulbs is burned out, so it would just stay on steady. The stalk is also suspect as it warms up with the inside of the car. Could test with lovely assistant's hair dryer on low....

BTW, hows that coolant sensor?
The light doesn't come on at all, and after a few seconds starts to go. The bulbs looked OK as I had them out (up front at least) when I had the radiator out. I was thinking the same thing with the hair dryer actually and will try that. Just one of those odd things I suppose. No biggie really, but hoped someone would have had the same quirk.
As far as the sensor, the local places did not have in stock but could have today. I might just order it online. I did take off and clean out the plug though, but it looked totally fine. I'm going to order a new t-stat too. What the heck, might as well try. The temp on the UG reads pretty darn spot on when cold, so I'm still doubting that but will do the new (and tested) t-stat. Even though the old one was flowing, I'm wondering if maybe it is just opening at too high a temp or maybe it is requiring too much pressure.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a known problem. Remove the switch from the stalk, clean and add di-electric grease to the contacts.

Getting the switch out is tricky though.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that this problem affects both bulbs it's likely not your issue, but what I''ve had happen to me a couple times with my DI and DII is that the rubber sealant/sorround on the top of the housing deteriorates and the housing will eventually fill with water when it rains, corroding the contacts on the bulbs. Just went to the junkyard and grabbed new connections, and used some glue and e-tape to seal the top of the housing back up.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

My D2 does the same thing in the winter. When it gets cold, I engage the turn signals WAY in advance of the turn, and usually they start to flash at some point before turning. I haven't taken the time to properly sort the issue.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here only when its cold

Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Glad to hear mine isn't the only one that doesn't like the cold! I'm going to be away this week, but maybe I will take it apart next week and try to clean it out. I will report back anything good I find out.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This thread pops up every winter, it is the switch.
The wiper switch will do the same thing.
This effects DII's more than DI's even though they use the same switch.

Quick Reply: Blinkers do not like the cold. Wrong blinker fluid?