Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Brake caliper bolts seized up (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/brake-caliper-bolts-seized-up-58704/)

caymandrew 04-29-2013 11:13 AM

Brake caliper bolts seized up

1 Attachment(s)
I've soaked them in PB blaster and even with all of this leverage I can not get them to budge, either of them! Any advice?

Attachment 41004

bballjames 04-29-2013 11:33 AM

I used a mallet. It was the only thing that could get them to budge. I wacked them pretty good.

And even then, a couple others, I had to jack the truck up, put a jack stand under the wrench, lower the truck and use the weight of the truck to loosen the bolts. Probably not the safest way, but it was the only thing I could do to get mine loose.

caymandrew 04-29-2013 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks man. I tried the rubber mallet to no avail. But I finally figured it out. If anyone else is stuck on the bolts, 1/2 socket, connect the rover tir iron extension bar, and finally connect a four way tire iron. If with over three feet of leverage it took some force to break these suckers lose:

Attachment 41003

coors 04-29-2013 12:43 PM

Damn those suckers didn't want to break free. A+ for persurverance.

I was going to suggest a quick few taps w/ a BFH

caymandrew 04-29-2013 12:46 PM

:)

Next question. There is a single screw that holds the rotor onto the hub. Whoever put this back on last time didn't line up that hole so obviously the screw is now missing. Does anyone knows its dimensions?

bballjames 04-29-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by caymandrew (Post 395137)
:)

Next question. There is a single screw that holds the rotor onto the hub. Whoever put this back on last time didn't line up that hole so obviously the screw is now missing. Does anyone knows its dimensions?

It's not necessary. It's just a retaining screw to hold the rotor on as it went down the assembly line. The wheel holds the rotors in place just fine. If you really want to replace them, you can, but next brake job, they will be all rusted in there and you will need an impact to get them out! That was the longest part of my brake job was getting those dang retaining screws out. I say leave them out!

caymandrew 04-29-2013 01:26 PM

Good advice, thanks!

ZGPhoto 04-29-2013 03:34 PM

If your having problems with seized bolts, do NOT put that rotor retaining screw back in! That was the worst part of my brake job, the thing did NOT want to come out!

Street Wolf 04-29-2013 03:50 PM

That cheater bar, wow. :O

Ghaniba 04-30-2013 06:13 AM

Another little tip I can add - the pb blaster works, Kroil works better ( Penetrating-Lubricating Oils ), or another product that a couple local garages showed me -
It's basically got some cooling agent to it so you can heat where the bolts go in, then hit it with this stuff causing the metal to shrink faster, often breaking the rust seal.

Another tip - hit the head of the bolt really hard. It'll brake the rust free before damaging the threads. Just don't miss and mangle the head of the bolt.

Dave