Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Handle Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you install one of these? I can't seem to find it in the RAVE.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Garrett has a really nice kit for $19.95. It includes new boots for the e-brake and the 4WD lever. You do have to assemble it using the old frame, but with a little patience it's easy. Garrett also includes really detailed instructions that step-by-step walk you through the whole remove, assemble, and reinstall process.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...k-awful-37605/

RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The covers on these cars is one of the weak points. I don't think I've ever seen the covers on the Discovery's look any better than marginally damaged, so I wouldn't recommend looking to find them from a vehicle that's being parted.

You can buy the leather and just install it yourself, using the metal retainers from the one you have installed already.

All you need is some leather glue (I used Guerilla Glue) and a flat head screwdriver. I took some pictures of mine, but I have to figure out how to get them posted on here. I guess I have to load them onto Photobucket and the use the URL (or something like that).

Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Mudding

To answer your question about how to install them...

The shifter just screws off. Grab a firm hold and twist the ball part counter clockwise, but it's easier if you pry the bottom of the boot first. Just take a flat head screwdriver and pry up the square part that fits flush with the console. After that piece is up and no longer attached to the console, you can twist the ball part of the shifter and just move the bottom part along with it as you twist. If you don't remove that bottom part, you'll only be able to twist it like two or three revolutions.

The brake requires a firm grip with both hands and is easier to do with the hand break up. Use both hands to grab the plastic part and twist from left to right while pulling away from the console. After the handle starts to move away, stop and unclip the base of the boot by squeezing it and pulling it out of the recess. After the base of the boot is removed from the console, got back to twisting the handle back and forth while pulling away from the console until it comes free.

Just remember which side is up when you pull the metal clip from the console that holds the hand break, as well as the proper orientation for plastic base for the shifter *** (it looks square, but it isn't and will give a hard time to replace if you don't have it the right way).

When you have the parts off, remove the base ends of the boots first. It might be easier to just cut them off. After the bases are removed, turn the boot inside out, so the bottom of the handles are visible. There are rubber retainers that hold the boot to the bottom of the handle. Be careful not to break those retainers, but remove the rings and the boots will come right off.

To put it together, just do the reverse. Turn the leather inside out, connect the rubber retainer so it fits back into the groove for each handle. Fold the leather onto the plastic (for the shifter) and glue it in place, then the metal (for the break) and glue it in place. Make sure you hold the leather in place long enough for it to dry completely. Then fit everything back in place by screwing the shifter in place and then pushing the base back into place, then pushing the break handle back onto the metal, then push the metal base back into the console.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Mudding

Lets see if this works. I pushed down the base of the boot so you can see. The old one was stuck on there, but I only had to pry it off (didn't take much effort). But you can see it really makes the console look pretty much brand new.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Mudding

This is the shifter boot...

Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Mudding

I was working on something else and just put the broken pieces next to the boot. Those pieces aren't from the console or anything.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Mudding

This is what it used to look like...

Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Mudding

Quick Reply: Brake Handle Cover?