Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake issue

Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Thanks that was the 1st thing on my list, but I figured I might as well ask some advice. Stopping is kinda of critical .
I think thats what everybody do. Save us a little step by getting opinions first. Often we have the idea what needed to be done but because a lot of members here are well capable of help and support, we ask. I do that every time. Plus theres OverRover for hard to find parts and he puts the big RED arrow for you. HEHEHEHEHE

Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

My brakes behave like that. Always, on panic stops, pedal travels to much lower. In 'normal' breaking, pedal is stiffer.
Have not driven another Disco to compare.
Scary but taken as the nature of the beast after finding nothing wrong in the system.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 PM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Externet
My brakes behave like that. Always, on panic stops, pedal travels to much lower. In 'normal' breaking, pedal is stiffer.
Have not driven another Disco to compare.
Scary but taken as the nature of the beast after finding nothing wrong in the system.
Thanks for the feedback, this was significantly lower with a feeling of little pressure, but I did not double pump.

I just went through this kinda of issue with my now retired Pathfinder - master was going but I could get the "standard" indicators. Pedal would not maintain pressure, could replicate pedal loss etc. it came out of no where too.

The Disco did it once on a cold start and has not done anything for the last 2 days - short trips only. Did a test on a small hill, dead end's at the long flat dirt road. She held fine for 10 minutes no pedal loss.

It is a head scratcher, but full fluid change and bleed during the holidays. To eliminate that as an issue.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

AFTER you have ruled out the master cylinder, etc as the cause for the low pressure consider replacing the rubber brake hoses with a braided stainless steel hose set. I run SS hardlines and hoses on every LR, motorcycle, and car that I own even if I have to get them made. Well worth it.

As far as a firmer pedal feel SS brake hoses make a great improvement to a DII. If you have, or are planning to do a lift they also make these hoses in extended lengths. There are many brands like Goodridge and AB has a set too.
Like> Discovery 2 Stainless Steel Brake Hose Kit With Brake Fluid

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:15 AM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
AFTER you have ruled out the master cylinder, etc as the cause for the low pressure consider replacing the rubber brake hoses with a braided stainless steel hose set. I run SS hardlines and hoses on every LR, motorcycle, and car that I own even if I have to get them made. Well worth it.

As far as a firmer pedal feel SS brake hoses make a great improvement to a DII. If you have, or are planning to do a lift they also make these hoses in extended lengths. There are many brands like Goodridge and AB has a set too.
Like> Discovery 2 Stainless Steel Brake Hose Kit With Brake Fluid
On the list for the spring, the wife limits my "toy" funds need to get the transmission, transfer case and diffs serviced 1st.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:19 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
On the list for the spring, the wife limits my "toy" funds need to get the transmission, transfer case and diffs serviced 1st.

She doesn't have The Brakes First on The List.... you might want to check if she took out a huge Life Insurance Policy in your name!!!