Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Break work sceduled! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/break-work-sceduled-54479/)

TRIARII 11-21-2012 03:05 PM

Break work sceduled!

Land Rover Discovery II Brake Rebuild Kits: Land Rover Brake Kits Online
Wheel Mates For Land Rovers (WM4505 Same Fit As Part # 4505) - Land Rover wheel accessories from Atlantic British
Oil Pan Drain Plug Washer (Part # ALU1403L) - Land Rover gaskets and seals from Atlantic British

Paying $244.85 shipped for everything above! I'm excited! I'll begin the procedure of replacing the rotors and pads this Monday or Tuesday - cant wait to try out the wheel mates. Hopefully my grinding breaks will hold out until then :/ I'll be sure to take some pics, maybe try and record the procedure for future DIY's.

PS: This Lockheed break kit is only a CHEAP temporary solution until I can afford the high performance break overhaul in afew months. So far I have the AKEBONO ceramic pads, now just gotta save up for the EBC rotors, new calipers and stainless steel break lines. So once I get all these parts I'll be selling the lockheed break kit above ;)

Wish me luck on next weeks break job! Really hoping I can get those dam rotor locator screws off without having to go out and buy a impact driver......... But I may end up getting one just to be on the safe side.

dcarr1971 11-21-2012 03:11 PM

Wheel mates? A little anti-seize would do the same thing for a lot less and it should be used on a number of other parts of the truck...
Buy Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant 81343 at Advance Auto Parts

Brakes are so easy, you shouldn't need any luck...but good luck anyway.

br0keit 11-21-2012 03:49 PM

In the automotive world proof reading goes a long way...

we want "brakes"

we DON'T want "breaks"

:D happy turkey!

Spike555 11-21-2012 06:33 PM

The Lockheed brake pads are what came on it from the factory.

TRIARII 11-24-2012 09:22 AM

Well i got the new brake kit (rotors/pads front and rear) ordered and they should be delivered by this coming Tuesday. In the mean time I could use some advice regarding the caliper. The front passenger side rotor gets real hot to the touch after a short 15 minute drive and some stop and go traffic. The rotor has several scrap marks from constant grinding (grinding due to a pad or caliper). Its possible that the caliper is froze and dragging or worst case scenario the caliper is shot and needs to be replaced. Kinda tight for money and would not be able to afford a new caliper for 2 weeks minimum so Im looking into alternative best case scenario options. Is it possible to unfreeze the caliper piston by using a piece of wood and a c-clamp?

Spike555 11-24-2012 10:15 AM

It could be the caliper is frozen and if you spread it apart it starts working again.

TRIARII 11-24-2012 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 358982)
It could be the caliper is frozen and if you spread it apart it starts working again.

and to spread it apart I should use the wood and c-clam method correct?

invalidusername 11-24-2012 02:48 PM

Wood and c clamp should work. I used to use the old brake pad. I got the little tool now though.
My little screws were stuck and I just had enough and drilled them out. Easy enough.

Spike555 11-24-2012 06:45 PM

I always leave the old brake pads in and then using a pry bar pry the caliper open.
If there is not enough space I use a c-clamp to spread the caliper, you dont care if you mess up the old brake pad.