Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brief introduction / humble request for advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I agree on the “more” miles the better. Under 100k to just under 120k = high chance she needs HG’s especially if not maintained worth a darn (however I owned 2 03’s back when they were new and I got 160/180k out of them without ever needing the HG’s touched. Now time and previous owners are against ya. I personally prefer a 99-02 with the 4.0L yes it’s less HP, but they were built when the tooling was newer, and LR was really trying to push the D2 when it came out vs the 03-04’s when LR could have cared less because the LR3 was already underway.

Are the engines junk, I’d have to say no they aren’t. They just required people to maintain them properly & to keep them from overheating!! Overheat any engine & it’s going to have issues I don’t care what make it is. Aluminum heads will warp no matter what.

You can buy a D2 with the CEL on as long as you’re smart about it! I always recommend a decent OBDII reader to check out pending or stored codes. Also I find a D2 with the CEL on better vs one that isn’t because that tells me the owner isn’t trying to hide something! You can just clear a code & sure it shows nada zip nothing until a drive cycle is completed on your way home (just happened to a friend of mine actually).

I’d have no problem at all laying down 8-10k for an 04 G4 Edition D2 in pristine condition. Any other non special edition D2 6k tops. Go out and try to find a vehicle that gets anywhere close to a D2 (Toyota 4runner) for example and get ready to pay 40k easy and that isn’t even the TRD model.

I know of a pretty clean 02 Kalahari in white that is all original with a slipped sleeve cause someone let it run hot. I’d have no problem paying 2-2.5k for it & dropping in another 4.0L or 4.6L & if it was going to be my only vehicle I might even consider a 4.8L conversion by Trailhead4x4.

I’ve owed 18 D2’s and out of all of those 4.0/4.6L’s not a one of them ever slipped a sleeve, overheated, or required an overhaul.

I bought an 04 a year ago that has an oil light flicker at a hot idle, but it doesn’t tick/knock or act funny at all minus the oil light. I paid 5k for it, and the main reason I paid 5k was besides the oil light it is an absolute time capsule. Still smells new inside, and it’s super clean inside/out. I also wanted an S model so no sunroofs, but all the other great features we all love.

I will be swapping the engine out with a spare I have just because I’ll pull the other one, tear it down (probably find a walked cam bearing) rebuild it and possibly slap it into my Kalahari to get a little more HP or sell it.

People & some friends have called me insane for buying my 02 Kalahari with 210k (now sitting at nearly 240k). However it’s been an awesome D2. Yes the paint is starting to show it’s age, but everything else is excellent and I don’t regret buying it at all. Same goes for the 04 for 5k, once the oil light issue is solved it’s a flawless D2. I’ve already had several people offer me 6-6.5k for it and I’ve turned them all down.

Someday the 500.00 wonders will be gone, the excellent trips to LKQ will stop, and prices will go up. 67 Mustangs were just Mustangs until they became classic’s and with all SUV’s looking more like space ships everyday with more computers in them vs some small businesses an older LR will have a cult following and they’ll be insanely priced.

The following users liked this post:
RoRover (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Mine for sale: https://lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto...644387956.html

Southern truck, rust free, all work done.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thorough advice, Best4x4!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts
Old 07-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Mine for sale: https://lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto...644387956.html

Southern truck, rust free, all work done.
Just read add...heck...you don't ever need to have a rover get together...just a family reunion...lol.

Nice looking rig, good luck with sale.

Brian.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done Disco, Extinct. I'm tempted by all the work you did, but my heart is set on the updated front fascia.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

That front fascia isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Those headlights are a much larger PITA to keep nice & pretty. Either they glaze up like most all plastic lens headlights do or they fog up inside with moisture & just look hideous. The 94-02 glass headlights are MUCH more durable & the glass will never fade or require polishing. The glass units can eventually get a leak from a bad seal but vs the plastic 03-04 headlights there is really no comparision.

I do prefer the 03-04 grill to the 99-02 grill as it’s much more durable. I am pleased to say LR figured it out with the LR3 as those headlights are awesome!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:42 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I agree on the “more” miles the better. Under 100k to just under 120k = high chance she needs HG’s especially if not maintained worth a darn (however I owned 2 03’s back when they were new and I got 160/180k out of them without ever needing the HG’s touched. Now time and previous owners are against ya. I personally prefer a 99-02 with the 4.0L yes it’s less HP, but they were built when the tooling was newer, and LR was really trying to push the D2 when it came out vs the 03-04’s when LR could have cared less because the LR3 was already underway.

Are the engines junk, I’d have to say no they aren’t. They just required people to maintain them properly & to keep them from overheating!! Overheat any engine & it’s going to have issues I don’t care what make it is. Aluminum heads will warp no matter what.

You can buy a D2 with the CEL on as long as you’re smart about it! I always recommend a decent OBDII reader to check out pending or stored codes. Also I find a D2 with the CEL on better vs one that isn’t because that tells me the owner isn’t trying to hide something! You can just clear a code & sure it shows nada zip nothing until a drive cycle is completed on your way home (just happened to a friend of mine actually).

I’d have no problem at all laying down 8-10k for an 04 G4 Edition D2 in pristine condition. Any other non special edition D2 6k tops. Go out and try to find a vehicle that gets anywhere close to a D2 (Toyota 4runner) for example and get ready to pay 40k easy and that isn’t even the TRD model.

I know of a pretty clean 02 Kalahari in white that is all original with a slipped sleeve cause someone let it run hot. I’d have no problem paying 2-2.5k for it & dropping in another 4.0L or 4.6L & if it was going to be my only vehicle I might even consider a 4.8L conversion by Trailhead4x4.

I’ve owed 18 D2’s and out of all of those 4.0/4.6L’s not a one of them ever slipped a sleeve, overheated, or required an overhaul.

I bought an 04 a year ago that has an oil light flicker at a hot idle, but it doesn’t tick/knock or act funny at all minus the oil light. I paid 5k for it, and the main reason I paid 5k was besides the oil light it is an absolute time capsule. Still smells new inside, and it’s super clean inside/out. I also wanted an S model so no sunroofs, but all the other great features we all love.

I will be swapping the engine out with a spare I have just because I’ll pull the other one, tear it down (probably find a walked cam bearing) rebuild it and possibly slap it into my Kalahari to get a little more HP or sell it.

People & some friends have called me insane for buying my 02 Kalahari with 210k (now sitting at nearly 240k). However it’s been an awesome D2. Yes the paint is starting to show it’s age, but everything else is excellent and I don’t regret buying it at all. Same goes for the 04 for 5k, once the oil light issue is solved it’s a flawless D2. I’ve already had several people offer me 6-6.5k for it and I’ve turned them all down.

Someday the 500.00 wonders will be gone, the excellent trips to LKQ will stop, and prices will go up. 67 Mustangs were just Mustangs until they became classic’s and with all SUV’s looking more like space ships everyday with more computers in them vs some small businesses an older LR will have a cult following and they’ll be insanely priced.

I'll respectfully disagree with you on the engines being junk.
If for no other reason than the rear main seal.
It is by far the worst, and stupidist design I have ever seen. It makes no sense at all!
Somebody needs their *** kicked for approving it for production! Let alone the idiots that came up with it.
Looking at my 4.6, I can't even comprehend how every engine doesn't pour oil out of the rear main seal from brand new!
I never even paid attention to it until it was time to assemble the engine...and I'de already bought everything.
Otherwise, I seriously would have boat anchored the pos and looked for an engine alternative.
Thanks alot ACEngineer for not having your LS conversion ready 6 months ago, lol.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
That front fascia isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Those headlights are a much larger PITA to keep nice & pretty. Either they glaze up like most all plastic lens headlights do or they fog up inside with moisture & just look hideous. The 94-02 glass headlights are MUCH more durable & the glass will never fade or require polishing. The glass units can eventually get a leak from a bad seal but vs the plastic 03-04 headlights there is really no comparision.

I do prefer the 03-04 grill to the 99-02 grill as it’s much more durable. I am pleased to say LR figured it out with the LR3 as those headlights are awesome!
They do look nicer, but if they are clear immediately put a few coats of UV Resistant Clear on them. The fading is awful, and I have had to drill drain holes in. The bumper cover is junk, too. Mine is in a sorry sorry state.

The cost of Bulbs is much less than new Headlights.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by RoRover
Well done Disco, Extinct. I'm tempted by all the work you did, but my heart is set on the updated front fascia.
So just replace the grill and headlights with the 03/04 style, it isn't hard to do.
There are Alot of worn out junk D2s around, and good ones are few and far between.
Extinct's D2 is a steal at that price.
Good luck finding anything like that for any less, because it's not happening. And if you buy one for $500-$3k-$4k in need of work, you're gonna end up with wayyy more than $5900 in it.

Quick Reply: Brief introduction / humble request for advice