Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Broken Accelerator Cable Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 08:32 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The Broken Accelerator Cable Situation ::..

Hello Roverers!

On top of ongoing issues with my 2002 Discovery S2 SE, the old banged up accelerator cable just broke off while driving on highway; thankfully had the impulse and enough clearance to coast to side of road and safely park.

Already called a tow truck and will be towing it to my workplace, where I'll be able to park indefinitely and work on it as soon as I get a replacement cable.

Any tips on temporary fix so I can drive it elsewhere? or best way to approach replacing the cable itself?

See pic of actual broken cable attached.
​​​

Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:02 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Replacing the cable is easy to do. Most difficult parts is getting the pedal end put in as it's a bit hidden away.
But do go for the genuine cable.

I put some non genuine in and the rubber grommet on the pedal end split very soon.
And one of the two plastic clips on it broke off when puting it on.

Asked around what the difference is between these two and none could tell so went with the cheaper one.
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-SBB500010
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-SBB500010K

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 06:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Same thing happened to my wife while driving my D2. Fixed it with a bicycle brake cable over 2 years ago and has worked just fine. Bought a replacement one anyways but havent needed to install it yet

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 07:44 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Dervish
Replacing the cable is easy to do. Most difficult parts is getting the pedal end put in as it's a bit hidden away.
But do go for the genuine cable.

I put some non genuine in and the rubber grommet on the pedal end split very soon.
And one of the two plastic clips on it broke off when puting it on.

Asked around what the difference is between these two and none could tell so went with the cheaper one.
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-SBB500010
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-SBB500010K
Thanks for your input DERVISH, unfortunately your links take me to a European vendor, and even though they do ship to the US, time is of the essence here. I've been looking into 2 options, both sold as "genuine", but at the end of the day you do not know what you'll receive: one at nearly $60 from Atlantic British -a reputable vendor I've bought from; the other nearly $116 from other reputable shops I've also bought from (this version has color tapes on them). One would think that the cheaper version is of lesser quality; but again, is being sold as "genuine" from a trusted vendor, so I find myself in that predicament. Would hate to buy the expensive one and end up receiving something different than what the pics are showing, or similar to the cheaper one. Anyways, I have until Monday to make up my mind. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:50 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Same thing happened to my wife while driving my D2. Fixed it with a bicycle brake cable over 2 years ago and has worked just fine. Bought a replacement one anyways but havent needed to install it yet
Thanks for your input SATURNINE; is it possible to see a pic of your fix? unfortunately, this caught me on a Friday and will not be able to order a replacement until Monday, so a temporary fix will come in handy, thanks!

Old 01-31-2024, 11:07 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
Thanks for your input DERVISH, unfortunately your links take me to a European vendor, and even though they do ship to the US, time is of the essence here. I've been looking into 2 options, both sold as "genuine", but at the end of the day you do not know what you'll receive: one at nearly $60 from Atlantic British -a reputable vendor I've bought from; the other nearly $116 from other reputable shops I've also bought from (this version has color tapes on them). One would think that the cheaper version is of lesser quality; but again, is being sold as "genuine" from a trusted vendor, so I find myself in that predicament. Would hate to buy the expensive one and end up receiving something different than what the pics are showing, or similar to the cheaper one. Anyways, I have until Monday to make up my mind. Thanks again.
Ours is definitely the genuine cable. The price difference can be accounted for by the item number and packaging on the cable from Land Rover... It's the genuine part # with a "K" on the end.

The "K" suffix from Land Rover usually indicates the item was a warranty replacement item at one time and these types of items are usually discounted in price due to high volume use. Not sure why an item for this vehicle would still have a warranty "K" item available, but that is what we have and why it's cheaper. It is the genuine item, however.

We've updated the item photos to include a photo with packaging label for reference: https://www.roverparts.com/fuel-syst...re/SBB500010G/

Hope that clarifies.

The following 2 users liked this post by AtlanticBritish:
adolfojbonilla (01-31-2024), Richard Gallant (01-31-2024)