Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   To buy or not to buy... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/buy-not-buy-29522/)

Spike555 03-08-2010 08:42 AM

To buy or not to buy...

I found a SD roof rack for $150, it is 2.5 hours away and it is for a DII.
As I have a DI it will be to long for my truck, but it will fit.
It wont look right, and its the brand of rack I want but its for the wrong series.
SO...do I buy it or not?

If anyone has pictures of a DII rack on a DI roof please post them so I can get a really good idea of how it will look.

I have also thought of buying it, painting it and then selling it for profit.

demonlarry 03-08-2010 08:53 AM

If you are going to buy it, I would do the "paint it and sell it" deal...

then turn that money into the rack you want...

2 1/2 hours away huh? Round trip? that might be the decider for me too...

XCELLER8 03-08-2010 08:55 AM

If I were you I would definitely buy it......you might even be able to talk them down on the price....when you get it home you can determine exactly if you want to install it , modify it , or clean it up and resell it. Good luck

Spike555 03-08-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by demonlarry (Post 166388)

2 1/2 hours away huh? Round trip? that might be the decider for me too...

No, thats each way.
Not a big deal, we do it all the time, the truck is at a junk yard and only 20 miles away from my wifes parents house.
So we could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Spike555 03-08-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by XCELLER8 (Post 166389)
If I were you I would definitely buy it......you might even be able to talk them down on the price....when you get it home you can determine exactly if you want to install it , modify it , or clean it up and resell it. Good luck

Thats what I am leaning towards. But trying to convince the wife of this is another story.

Keep the thoughts coming guys.

demonlarry 03-08-2010 09:17 AM

Alright, here's what you do.

YOU go by yourself, to her folks house, make up some story about an upcoming birthday surprise etc.

They WON"T blow you in for the unannounced visit, because you are planning an upcoming birthday surprise for their daughter. And what a thoughtful man you are for doing so.

Sneak over, pick up the rack. Job done!

Or you could just go down there, forget the visit, etc.

or you could check with your wife, get the A-OK and avoid any future unpleasantness caused by a roofrack that doesn't even fit you truck.

XCELLER8 03-08-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 166398)
Thats what I am leaning towards. But trying to convince the wife of this is another story.

Keep the thoughts coming guys.

a couple ways you might try to convince her..." It's an INVESTMENT, honey" or " I'm going to save enough money on it to get that_________ you've always wanted " then there's the old standby......crawl on your hand and knees and beg. Personally I've not had any luck with any of these methods but there's always a first time

Spike555 03-08-2010 11:29 AM

Well she wants to go visit her sister, and I want to buy the rack (hehe), and it is the beginning of offroading season...

hilltoppersx 03-08-2010 12:00 PM

its going to be hanging 6 inches off the back of your rig... get it paint it sell it for $500

antichrist 03-08-2010 12:53 PM

Buy it and advertise wanting to trade for a D1 rack, assuming you want a rack. It will work on your D1 until you find the trade (who cares how it looks?).
I've seen quite a few people asking about putting a D1 rack on their DII so I'm sure you can work a trade eventually.