Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Buy or Not To Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a little steep for an 01. You can get an 04 for that price.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

they paid $2k to have the ABS fixed. LOLZ.... they went to the dealer and had a new modulator put in. that is awesomely hilarious. i feel sorry for the sucker who walks in and pays that much for that truck.... i suggest you really start searching if you're interested. try searchtempest.com

Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Too much money if gaskets were not done, etc. Also depends on the options and extras on the truck. In general, just go do some searching and see what you find. You can 100% get an 04 with the same mileage around that price, or an older one with less mileage and maybe more recent work. Do a bit of searching. Took me months to find the right deal but I did:
http://www.cars.com

Old 03-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Drifting

i have not been looking for very long, but i sold my car and am trying to find something that will work for me. i drive maybe 7-9k a year and that will be dropping even less once i'm out of school. i just need to make it a couple of years while i put money back into my cd and then i can get something else.

what i've learned today from yall:
- don't be a douche, respond with helpful comments
- driveshaft needs to be rebuilt and that should be around $200 at a muffler shop/something like that (i've found some rebuilt units for $280 online..what does labor look like though?)
- i need to talk them down on price: i wanted to do this to begin with.

the reason why i'm ok with the price range we're at is because i've looked at getting 03/04's with any milage period and with the mechanisms i've used, the closest i'm getting within hundreds of miles of where i live is still over $9-10k.

i do appreciate your help and responses, and the valve gaskets were replaced about 80k (which i understand to be the biggest cost at this point).

hopefully i'll be another proud owner and i'm sure i'll be begging for help soon, like the rest of the club. ha.

ps. thoughts on the rsw amigo tool: worthwhile investment?

Old 03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Valve gaskets are something totally different... head gaskets are the big problem.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM

.... you are in college? do you have a place to work on you truck? do you have tools? do you have money if you don't have tools/time/garage? don't forget these trucks suck gas down. If you are just trying to get a car to get by i say get an old honda or toyota. if you are dead set on a truck then get a 98 or 99 discovery 1. it will not run into ABS problems as complicated as the D2's and your driveshaft won't explode. that could help save you some time and money.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Drifting

yes i'm in college, stated that in the opening. yes i have tools. yes i have working engine knowledge. yes i have $5k sitting in the bank *just* for fixing up a car. i'm not completely inept, but i enjoy a challenge and this is something that i'd like to do. i'm gonna get them down on the price and i'm going to have a great shop give it the one over and we'll proceed from there if i end up getting it.

and like i said, the milage doesn't really scare me. i make good money and i don't have to drive more than 10min to work. i do appreciate the advice and i look forward to your future help.

and i had a pontiac vibe i put 92k on in high school, then an 05 RSX Type-S that i raced and did more than enough work on myself. grew up driving a 95 suburban that we ran with 200k and i did everything on it too. this isn't entirely foreign to me.

Last edited by brigadier_dj; 03-08-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are young, have some extra cash aside "just in case", have some experience AND are willing to work on it yourself? Your situation is perfect for a Land Rover. Not to mention you do your research and ask opinions...

what are you waiting for? Haggle the price down, have that shop give it a detailed once over, then go through the major service list posted at top of forum. These trucks really aren't that hard to work on, just high maintenance but totally worth it if you ask me. You will love it and this forum is extremely helpful for all the "little things" that demolish their rep and help drive the price down to where we can buy them and bring them back to life for relatively cheap.

But my original opinion remains: you can do better than that truck at that price. But if you want it and can afford it and don't care for searching for months to save a few bucks..."F" it and buy it and enjoy.

Last edited by DiscoIIBrandon; 03-08-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Awesome! Go for it! I couldn't afford my disco when I was in college. But I was only a bartender. Keep searching that truck is too much money. Buy a truck from a private seller it wil save u money. Dealers mark up these trucks for the name plate. Drive a bunch before u settle on one. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I searched 4/5 months for my Discovery in 2007 took a flight from Indy, IN to Washington, D.C. Drove it home with 49k for $12500 in September of 2007. It was a little high price for a 2003 but one owner and I have done all the preventative maintenance myself. So my advice is take your time. The right Rover will come along and you will know it when you see it like love at first sight if you believe in that stuff.

P.S. I rent out my ABS Amigo to people on the forum. It is booked 2 people deep right now.

Quick Reply: To Buy or Not To Buy