Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C help!

so i took my D2 into a shop to get the A/C evacuated and charged, however, its still blowing out the same temp. The guy at the shop thinks there might be something wrong with the condenser and whatnot.

I had noticed that it doesnt blow very cold while stopped, but as soon as i start driving it will get noticeably cooler but not as cold as my other car does.

Anybody have any suggestions on this front? thanks.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Does the Efan work?

Old 07-23-2016, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Does the Efan work?
EFan? sorry....im a noob at land rovers.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Electric fan in the front. Comes on when the AC is turned on

Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree, turn on the AC and look at the fan behind the grill. It should be running pretty fast.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

At 28C or over the A/C should run with the A/C and ignition/engine on, at least this applies to a TD5. If this doesn't happen check the fan with a 12 volt supply to see whether it's working or not. If it's working check the temperature sender for function. Often the condenser flunks and needs replacement which will require the A/C system draining and refilling with refrigerant.

Be very careful as the A/C system is under considerable pressure.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd look at the electric fan also, and it's 40A fuse.

If the fuse is blown, there's a really good chance that the motor has seized.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Sorry to hi-jack. Quick question related to the topic:

If coolant temps rise 6-10 degrees when the A/C is turned on, is this exposing a faulty condensor? My temps currently fluctuate between 183 and 190 most likely due to a stubborn air pocket but immediately upon activating the AC, temp jumps up. The Elec-fan is in good working order and runs according to RAVE parameters. Ambient temps around 100 deg in the afternoon, but situation applies to cooler ambient temps as well.

There was a thread on escalating coolant temps with AC engaged. The OP had a mechanic fix the problem but no explanation or parts replacement was given.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:57 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Sorry to hi-jack. Quick question related to the topic:

If coolant temps rise 6-10 degrees when the A/C is turned on, is this exposing a faulty condensor? My temps currently fluctuate between 183 and 190 most likely due to a stubborn air pocket but immediately upon activating the AC, temp jumps up. The Elec-fan is in good working order and runs according to RAVE parameters. Ambient temps around 100 deg in the afternoon, but situation applies to cooler ambient temps as well.

There was a thread on escalating coolant temps with AC engaged. The OP had a mechanic fix the problem but no explanation or parts replacement was given.
When the A/C is activated it takes a lot of energy for cooling hence coolant temperatures will rise to reduce this run on Econ mode. The A/C only needs to be set at 4C below external ambient air temperature (i.e. not in direct sunlight) to achieve a sufficient cooling effect assuming the A/C system is functioning corrrectly. Running the A/C a lot lower than this just wastes energy and fuel for very little gain.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
If coolant temps rise 6-10 degrees when the A/C is turned on, is this exposing a faulty condensor? My temps currently fluctuate between 183 and 190 most likely due to a stubborn air pocket but immediately upon activating the AC, temp jumps up. The Elec-fan is in good working o... .
Working as normal.

Condensor is basically a smaller Radiator, and its job is to dump heat. First up after the condensor is the radiator, so your coolant temp will rise.
Modern cars have fan control units that see operation of the AC and increase the fan speed, so they tend to get less or no temperature rise.

Quick Reply: A/C help!