Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Calling Sunroof Experts - 2004 Disco Sunroof problem with video (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/calling-sunroof-experts-2004-disco-sunroof-problem-video-75298/)

akilbrid 08-26-2015 03:04 PM

Calling Sunroof Experts - 2004 Disco Sunroof problem with video

I have a 2004 Disco, and I can't figure out what's wrong with my front sunroof. The rear sunroof works fine. I've replaced both the switch as well as the motor and I still can't get this thing to work right.

Currently, it moves about an inch, stops, then moves again. See youtube video for reference.

PLEASE HELP!

DavC 08-26-2015 04:04 PM

Now I cannot speak for the Disco II, but the Disco 3 has a reset function built into the sunroof control button. Maybe they had it in the previous model as well?

for the 3 it was hold the close sunroof button down for 30 seconds. Reset procedure starts and the motors try to fully cycle the system with factory settings. IF this is even a thing on the older disco's just let it cycle by itself and try again when it stops.

B-side, I was not even aware the disco had 2 sunroofs! what?! That's some luxury.

akilbrid 08-26-2015 04:39 PM

Thanks for the tip, I have never heard of a reset on the button for 30 seconds. a search has not yielded any more information. Can anyone comment?

Originally Posted by DavC (Post 533318)
Now I cannot speak for the Disco II, but the Disco 3 has a reset function built into the sunroof control button. Maybe they had it in the previous model as well?

for the 3 it was hold the close sunroof button down for 30 seconds. Reset procedure starts and the motors try to fully cycle the system with factory settings. IF this is even a thing on the older disco's just let it cycle by itself and try again when it stops.

B-side, I was not even aware the disco had 2 sunroofs! what?! That's some luxury.

Charlie_V 08-26-2015 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by akilbrid (Post 533322)
Thanks for the tip, I have never heard of a reset on the button for 30 seconds. a search has not yielded any more information. Can anyone comment?

I can't tell if your motor is straining or just stopping and starting... whether it seems like there is a physical problem or an electrical.

Mine acted exactly like that before (motor was not straining... just stopped and started). When I took the switch apart there was rust in it and I found a fault in the seal on my sunroof. I replaced the switch and it worked fine. You might be able to test that by just bypassing the switch but I'm not sure which wires in the connector will do the trick. If in my driveway I would take a piece of wire and try all combinations until it worked or the truck caught on fire... you may want a more conservative approach.

akilbrid 08-26-2015 06:37 PM

Charlie_V,

It definitely sounds as if the motor is starting and stopping.

Charlie_V 08-26-2015 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by akilbrid (Post 533337)
Charlie_V,

It definitely sounds as if the motor is starting and stopping.

Then it has to be the switch or the relay. The sunroof motors don't stop in response to a hand or neck in them--or a least mine don't (tested with hand and neck). So I strongly suspect the switch. I'm sorry but I can't remember whether the switches can be swapped. If they can, try that and I bet you find the problem.

akilbrid 08-26-2015 09:44 PM

Switch is brand new though. Could it be the Sunroof ECU?

Charlie_V 08-26-2015 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by akilbrid (Post 533359)
Switch is brand new though. Could it be the Sunroof ECU?

We are instant messaging. I added... can you swap the switches? I don't remember if they swap.

I actually didn't know there was a sunroof ECU unless you mean the BCU... but if you change that you have to also change the ECU or have them matched by a dealer or genius. Unless something else it acting up it probably isn't the BCU.

It is possible that the motor is poorly grounded or has a bad connection, but I really think it is the switch or relay. If you can find the right relay you can swap a matching relay to see if it makes a difference.

akilbrid 08-26-2015 09:56 PM

There is definitely a sunroof ECU. It even says 'sunroof ecu' right on there. It connects to both the front and rear sunroof. Right behind the switches. I think I'm just going to try and replace that and go from there. Pretty cheap on ebay.

1994 2004 Land Rover Discovery 1 2 Sunroof ECU 1 | eBay

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 533360)
We are instant messaging. I added... can you swap the switches? I don't remember if they swap.

I actually didn't know there was a sunroof ECU unless you mean the BCU... but if you change that you have to also change the ECU or have them matched by a dealer or genius. Unless something else it acting up it probably isn't the BCU.

It is possible that the motor is poorly grounded or has a bad connection, but I really think it is the switch or relay. If you can find the right relay you can swap a matching relay to see if it makes a difference.

Charlie_V 08-27-2015 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by akilbrid (Post 533362)
There is definitely a sunroof ECU. It even says 'sunroof ecu' right on there. It connects to both the front and rear sunroof. Right behind the switches. I think I'm just going to try and replace that and go from there. Pretty cheap on ebay.

1994 2004 Land Rover Discovery 1 2 Sunroof ECU 1 | eBay

Well I was asleep in class. What's worse is that I picked a rover CLEAN about a month ago (bought I for parts) and I didn't notice that. I'm sure I have one in a bucket somewhere because the truck was bare metal when I was done, but 39 bucks with free shipping is pretty close to free in rover land so I shouldn't have bothered; good find!

Please post whether it works!

Best,

Charlie V