Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam n Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam n Lifters

So after hrs of probing around my engine with a steth. im concluding this noise to be lifters. so i was wondering numero uno- is there any options for the lifters like a diff brand that are known to keep up longer bc frankly 88k is rediculous in my opinion, and numero dos-are there and mild, driver friendly camshafts out the for this motor, reccomondations???

Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cam n Lifters

lifters are probably sticking because of crud in your engine. you could try flushing the engine with some kind of aluminum safe engine flush and then changing oil immediately after.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, do an ATF flush and see what change is made, our lifters just don't fail.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well its been a progressing noise. its worse when cold then gets quieter when warm, but it really doenst sound like tapping lifters, but its bugging me to know whats up. and the truck get fresh RP every 3k, just hard to believe there could be junk in there but im all for giving it a trans flush, but am still going to order lifters. but was also thinking a cam if there are any that are highly reccomended.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what weight oil do you use?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Before you order parts remove your valve covers and confirm this is what it is.
Then IF it is the lifters tighten the rocker arms and see if the noise goes away.
You wont need to tighten them much, just a half tuen at a time, you cna do it with the engine running...tighten them until the noise stops.
Or with the engine off you can try and move each rocker, if it wiggles then tighten.
Replacing the cam is going to be a big job.
I would tighten the lifters and then not worry about it.
It'll run another 88k making noise like that. Longer if you tighten the rocker arms.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you tighten your lifters when its running? What am I missing? My disco is a bit noisy on start up but then quiets down after the idle drops..... is this normal?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't tighten lifters, you tighten the rock arms.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Team Owner

On top of the rocker arm is a nut, when the rocker arm wears there is slop inbetween the rocker arm and the lifter and this can be noisy, tighening this nut takes up the slack.
On older non-hydrolic lifter cars this was common practice, you would have to do it every 30,000 miles or so.
Hydrolic lifters can wear down too and become noisy.
Before I went to the trouble of replacing my lifters, unless I was going a valve job or other major repair I would tighten the rocker arms.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: 04BluDisco

How do you tighten your lifters when its running? What am I missing? My disco is a bit noisy on start up but then quiets down after the idle drops..... is this normal?
Yes. It is noisy at start up because there is no oil in the valve train and until it flows to all the engine parts they will be noisy.
Make sure that you do not drive the truck for at least one minute after start up when it has sat all night/day.
You need to give the oil time to flow to every part of the engine, takes longer the colder it is.

Quick Reply: Cam n Lifters