Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   can i run taller profile tires on one axle (rear)?? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/can-i-run-taller-profile-tires-one-axle-rear-79525/)

bcolins 05-31-2016 08:46 AM

can i run taller profile tires on one axle (rear)??

Need a new front tire. found some 255 65 18 tires. Currently running 255 55 18. Wondering if I can run the 265s on one axle, probably the rear, and then keep the 255s on the front.

Then comes the problem of what happens if I get a flat,........I could potentially end up with two different sizes on one axle.

Wondering if this could create problems since these are full time all wheel drive,......and,. then, if two diff sizes on one axle?

Thoughts?

BC

BS50MGSXR 05-31-2016 10:40 AM

I wouldn't do it for to long, but my guess is the center differential will prob not like the different speeds of the two drive shafts. Get a plug kit and mini air compressor is what I have due to my spare being a 255/55 & all my tires are 255/65. I'll prob change my spare to the next size up to match the rest here soon.

Charlie_V 05-31-2016 11:00 AM

I'm pretty sure they all have to be the same because we have all wheel drive. Also, if one or two are turning slower than the other it would probably wake up your three amigos.

Alex_M 05-31-2016 11:08 AM

Traction control doesn't react to differences between front and rear, only side to side. However, I've been told many times that different size tires is quite bad for the transfer case.

Charlie_V 05-31-2016 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_M (Post 569123)
Traction control doesn't react to differences between front and rear, only side to side. However, I've been told many times that different size tires is quite bad for the transfer case.

Ah. Makes sense. I had to move mine once with a much smaller tire (28 versus 33) and everything flashed after a few feet, but that was only one tire.

squirt 05-31-2016 01:20 PM

Your tires all need to be the same size for normal use. In an emergency/get-home situation, you can substitute a similar size, but it should be changed immediately. I have been in this scenario before.

Using tires of different sizes will cause differentials (in this case, center) to constantly compensate for the difference, which will push them beyond design limits in short order.

DiscoCam 05-31-2016 03:13 PM

Don't do it. You will ruin the center differential.

Best4x4 05-31-2016 04:29 PM

Yep Transfer Case WILL NOT like that at all!!!

Only redneck way around it would be if you had an 04 with a CDL or you had a 99-01 with the CDL nipple. In a pinch you could disconnect the front driveshaft, engage CDL, have the larger tires on say the rear axle, and drive it as an emergency situation.

Disco Stu AZ 07-20-2016 10:52 PM

Since we are on the subject of tire size... Is it ok to buy 4 used tires of the same brand and size if 2 of them are a little bit more worn than the other 2? I only ask because I know that older AWD vehicles with viscous couplings are very particular about small differences in tread height, but I'm not sure if the full-time 4wd system in the Disco II would run into the same issue.

Alex_M 07-21-2016 09:23 AM

There are conflicting opinions, but my personal opinion is it comes down to how much different the thread heights are. If it's just a little difference you're fine, but if there's a lot of difference I'd personally be weary. Then again, some things like that I can be a little overly cautious.