Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can one person change PS fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can one person change PS fluid?

Never changed mine as it was done by the dealer I purchased it from. In the Rave the procedure takes two people to do it. Doubt my gf would want to help haha and I'd rather do it by myself if possible. Anyone have a procedure or way to do it by myself?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sure, one person can do it. Go buy 4 quarts of synthetic p/s fluid and a hand pump, like a turkey baster from the parts store. Send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Pull return line off bottle, start car, count to 2, refill.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 AM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
So just shoot out ps fluid all in the engine bay? Maybe I'm not following you. Guess I need to buy some more I only have two quarts (bought all of the 60K service stuff even though I did it 19K ago at 60 but It has been almost two years so I'm doing it all again.

Mike I'm out of town from tomorrow morning until Weds but I'll shoot you my number then. Might not be my steering pump but there's a noise when I'm either stopped or moving slowly and turn the wheel a good bit. Had the tires changed yesterday and they said they lubed everything underneath (I'm going to grease the ds again myself Tuesday just to be safe...checked it the last time a shop said they did it and it wasn't done). I changed the brakes/fluid, oil, tran fluid, gear oil, flushed coolant/new t-stat, and plugs today. Took about 7 hours and now my neck is strained but I felt like getting it all done before my drive in the morning.

Can I just knock some of the dust etc off my air filter before the drive? I ordered a filter and new belt but it'll be here sometime next week.

To add switching from T6 to Mobil 1 definitely made a difference in the engine not making as much noise. T6 was the worst oil as far as noise I've ever used and only kept it in for 1500 miles because of that.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This is the way to do it, point the hose downwards and catch it in a container. Not that hard.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attached a long clear plastic tubing (from home depot) to the bleeding niple, opened the bleeding screw, fieled up the reservoir and started the engine. The tube went into one container and I kept pouring PS fluid into the reservoir. After about 2 quarts, clear and clean fluid was coming out of the bleeding niple. Turned of the engine and ttightened up the bleeding screw. No mess.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't understand why these little things (one man PS fluid change) aren't in the "How to section". Been meaning to do the power steering fluid. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM
KBW
Mudding

I'm sorry for all my questions haha...The DII is the first car I've owned that I've tried to do all the work for the most part myself. Surprisingly 95% of the maintenance is not difficult at all and done myself no more expensive than any other car to maintain.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What he said.
And if you save your empty washer fluid bottles or gallon oil jugs you can stick the hose into one of them and you are good to go.
If you have a friend (I suggest you find one) they can start the engine while you keep the power steering system full.
Once clean fluid comes out have them turn it off.
Put hose back, top off the system.
This is the best way to flush the power steering system.
You wouldn't just suck out the old brake fluid and mix new with the old, so why do the same with the power steering?
The power steering system only holds like a quart or so, so a empty gal jug is plenty.
Then take your old OIL to be recycled.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 AM
KBW
Mudding

would it hurt it for a couple seconds having no fluid?

Quick Reply: Can one person change PS fluid?