Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterfall sound + overheating again

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterfall sound + overheating again

Previous issue here

Everything was great up until now... I've heard the waterfall sound before, quite often actually. I thought it was no big deal. After reading some, it seems that it could be a big deal.

I've also started overheating again... Coolant is boiling. Same stuff as before.

Bout ready to sell this thing, if I can get anything out of it.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, same as before -

overheating can begin before the gauge indicates it. Use a scanner or Ultra Gauge to see temps.

Bleed all air out of system to get rid of water fall sound. If it keeps returning, then either leak (like around a hose or gasket), or head gasket, or cracked head/block. If temps shoot high, even in a very short time, and hose is hard, and boiling coolant, could easily be exhaust gas entering the system. One of these $50 testers will confirm by changing color if products of combustion are present.

Dvining betwen a garden variety leak, which lowers coolant and allows overheating; and something that is harder to fix; takes a little detective work.

If doing head gaskets yourself, about $300 parts, two weekends, plus machine shop inbetween. Don't skip that step. If you are convinced that it is exhaust gas, but not the head gasket, you can do a pressure test of the block. At that point you have a stripped down engine and a non-running truck. If block is cracked... something new for the man cave.

There is always KSeal, a product that seals up small cracks for some period of time. And the lower temp soft spring thermostat that cuts operating temp.

The speed at which the coolant surges to boiling could indicate the severity of the problem. Just overheat from lower coolant takes a while of operation. Cracked block can send it in seconds once block reaches the majic temperature to open the crack.

Attached Thumbnails Waterfall sound + overheating again-block_test_fluid.jpg   Waterfall sound + overheating again-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg   Waterfall sound + overheating again-ss105177.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-29-2012 at 01:02 PM.