Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Cat Converter Stolen on Disco II - Need Replacement (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/cat-converter-stolen-disco-ii-need-replacement-55716/)

ZMonet 01-08-2013 02:35 PM

Cat Converter Stolen on Disco II - Need Replacement

I got my cat converters sawzalled off my 2001 Disco II SE and drove it (very loudly) the 1/4 mile to the service station. They say they can't put an aftermarket cat on it and want around $2700 for a new cat installed. Is there any reason why an aftermarket part wouldn't work? I'm not in Cali, so don't need to meet their emission standards. Can anyone suggest a cat they know will work on a Disco II? Nearly three grand is way more than I want to sink into this thing.

Thanks in advance.

jafir 01-08-2013 02:40 PM

Find another exhaust shop. They are trying to rip you off. There is not reason they cannot weld in a universal cat.

jafir 01-08-2013 02:40 PM

Also, you can get a bolt in y-pipe with the cats for around $400 aftermarket.

ZMonet 01-08-2013 02:50 PM

Thanks Jafir. Does the LR OEM part not require welding? I'm not sure why they keep claiming that the aftermarket parts won't work. Would this one work and would it require welding? Walker/Catalytic Converter (55417) | AutoZone.com or can you recommend one that bolts on that is better?

What should I be looking to pay in labor (figure labor at about $100/hr).

Thanks!

Madlands 01-08-2013 02:51 PM

Find another shop! Just google exhaust shop or muffler shop in your area and usually you can find a few with reviews on the service and price. Shouldn't cost anymore than $450 for 2 universal highflow cats welded on at a good shop.

Also if you don't mind me asking where are you that people are stealing cats? My grandfather told stories of that happening in his day, but I never hear of that happening anymore.

ZMonet 01-08-2013 02:59 PM

Shop claims they purchased aftermarket and they wouldn't work. Now I don't trust them.

I'm in Maryland and was parked at a park & ride next to the highway. Guys took it while I was at work. Police and insurance company say this is happening quite a bit. Apparently an auto dealership had like 7 taken. LRs are easier for thieves because of the undercarriage clearance.

Called another shop and they said it would be about $1000. I could supply the part and he says labor would be $90/hour, so maybe I could just buy the part. How many labor hours should I be looking at? And, anyone have any links to something that will work for my 2001 LR with bolt on?

Thanks for your guys help!

ZGPhoto 01-08-2013 03:01 PM

2-3 hours would be plenty I'd imagine.

Madlands 01-08-2013 03:13 PM

I had to get my exhaust welded back on a few weeks back. The shop I went to was owned and operated by one guy and it was just a hole in the wall place. The 2012 f150 before me got highflow cats and dual exhaust put on and the welder made all his own bends (not a box exhaust kit) and it took an hr and a half. I don't know what he ended up charging for all that, but I'm just saying if you find the right place it shouldn't take long at all depending on the welders abilities and experience. I would have never found or gone to him if I hadn't googled exhaust shop and read all the reviews on 15 different places.

lr2001silver 01-08-2013 03:19 PM

That is a ridiculous price you were quoted keep looking and yes you can use a universal cat.

jafir 01-08-2013 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ZMonet (Post 368596)
Thanks Jafir. Does the LR OEM part not require welding? I'm not sure why they keep claiming that the aftermarket parts won't work. Would this one work and would it require welding? Walker/Catalytic Converter (55417) | AutoZone.com or can you recommend one that bolts on that is better?

What should I be looking to pay in labor (figure labor at about $100/hr).

Thanks!

The land rover part bolts on. As do the direct fit after market. See this link:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...nverter-51198/

That one you posted should work I think, but it's kind of pricey.