Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL shifts fine into all positions but no light or audible chime

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:19 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default CDL shifts fine into all positions but no light or audible chime

The high/low cdl linkage shifts flawlessly with minimum effort (in contrast to my grey D2 where mild force is always necessary) however theres nothing showing up on the dash and no chime, typical whenever a gear is selected. Where should I start? Could this mean the cdl was disconnected or perhaps a fuse or a sensor malfunction?

The xyz gear selector switch was bad and the m/s lights were flashing when I received the truck. I played around with the cdl and assumed that the function was disabled due in part to a faulty xyz. I ended up replacing the switch with a older used unit. The one that I pulled from the white D2 has a black plastic back piece whereas the older versions are a tiny bit smaller and have a yellowish plastic back piece. With everything back together the m/s lights are gone and the truck runs as normal except when you shift into either neutral or 1st the dash does not acknowledge. Neutral can be acknowledged if I jiggle the automatic shifter a tad bit, but as soon as you let go the dash does not acknowledge neutral. So with neutral selected Im able to shift the cdl linkage into all positions but again no dash icon an no chime.

PS: The xyz switch is not as hard to replace as some folks had me to believe. The plug was securely snug in the harness bracket and would not come free so I had to improvise. The plug now hangs loosely not secured to any bracket. I did have to remove one bolt from the heat shield and peel it back a ways in order to slide the switch off the shaft. I also found the job much easier if and when you remove 2 small bolts that hold the switch bracket in place as seen in pics. Doing so allows you to easily reach up and pull the switch plug down a ways where you can manhandle it.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

It could be the transfer case n switch or the cdl switch inside the TC are sticking or aren’t even hooked up! The 04 I have wouldn’t beep when in N and it wouldn’t change the Sport Mode to Manual Mode. I changed the transfer case fluid & used the diff lock & 4lo and drove it down a dirt road for a bit in low. Next time I shifted all was well and it now works as it should.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

You may have to adjust your XYZ switch to get proper gear indication on dash. Sometimes it works better if you have someone inside, while you move the switch. The switch mounting holes are oblong, for minor adjusting.

Have you physically checked to see if it is going into CDL lock? (lever underneath moving stud) Lever may be loose on stud and not actually activating CDL.

Brian.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:28 AM
TReK

I tried adjusting the switch prior to install but could not get the plastic round piece to rotate. I did not want to chance damaging the threads. Seems the switch could really only be mounted on the shaft one way then once in place I had to rotate the switch until the bolt holes lined up. I have not examined the cdl linkage underneath as of yet. Ill have to take a look when this storm passes.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:08 PM
TReK
Default Update

So the transfer case has fresh fluid and a new cover gasket. Still no audible ding or illuminated light on the cluster, when either low range or cdl is engaged. The low range is functional however; tested it on a steep hill and it worked fine. But again no audible or light. Could it be possible that something in the cluster is either disconnected or faulty?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Have you inspected the electrical connector for the CDL enabled/disabled switch on the TC? It could be the switch or the plug itself.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

On the '04 cases there are two CDL switches, wired in parallel. Hard to imagine both failing... I bet they're disconnected. I would check to make sure they are connected, then either use a lynx/nanocom/hawkeye to test the CDL lamp, and/or short one of the switches to see if CDL illuminates.

There isn't a light on the dash to signify low range, unless I'm dumb and never noticed it? There's only the audible warning when switching to neutral.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:47 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
There isn't a light on the dash to signify low range, unless I'm dumb and never noticed it? There's only the audible warning when switching to neutral.
Right. There's a light when the CDL is locked, and a light and chime when the CDL is in neutral. I suspect that the OP is getting none of this though.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:39 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by mollusc
Right. There's a light when the CDL is locked, and a light and chime when the CDL is in neutral. I suspect that the OP is getting none of this though.
Right. No audible ding or illuminated lights are coming on at all. Be it in low range, neutral or with cdl engaged.

Where on the transfer case can I find the 2 switches mentioned above. Are they easily accessible from underneath the truck or do I need to pull everything apart from inside the truck?

Old 04-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Not easily accessible, but you should be able to at least verify they're plugged in from underneath, might need a mirror, flashlight, endoscope, or go by feel. They're both in a line next to the CDL nipple.

red box here

Quick Reply: CDL shifts fine into all positions but no light or audible chime