Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:54 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated, as I am at my wits end with Land Rover. I have a 2004 Discovery I with less than 60,000 miles. We are on our third engine, but more improtantly I am sick and tired of the Check Engine Light. Since we had the original engine replaced (Catastrophic failure) in 2007 we have had a recurring issue with the CEL coming on. When I say recurring I mean every 3-4 months it would come on and stay on. Every time we took it to Land Rover they always said it was the fuel cap not being on properly.

This continued until Dec 2009 when the light came on; went out; came back on and then started flashing. When it began flashing we then heard knocking from the engine. Long story short and four months later (Mar 2010) we had the engine replaced again. In the latter part of June the CEL came on again. This time the dealer said they had found a loose wire which they believed caused the light to come on and of course the fuel cap code (Which I can't remember). So they fixed the wire and replaced the fuel cap. Here we are three weeks later and the check engine light is on again. They also ran what I believed they referred to as a "smoke check" and found no leak in the system.

Once I can get to a place to get the codes checked I will post them, but is this a recurring issue with "crappy" fuel caps or have we just been taking our Land Rover to "crappy" dealers? By the way, the maintenace on the car has always been done by Land Rover dealers.

I'm sure I will be taking it back to LR, is there anything smart questions I should be asking (other than codes)?

Ron

Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a DII.
You have a lemon.
Start looking at the lemon law in your state, depending on the law in your state you could get your money back.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear

Roger, Discovery II, bad typing. I'm not sure if the lemon law would apply as the car was bought new, but I can always check.

In the what it is worth department I have had the code checked at two different locations both resulted in the same code: P0455

Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read on a post somewhere on here that there's some kind of filler line to the fuel tank that can make the light come on, but the guy was quoted almost $1,000.

I get the P0455 code about every 300 miles, then it goes away for another 500 miles or so. I've replaced the fuel cap, and that's about as far as i'm taking it with my vehicle. It still runs like a champ, and gets 15 city and 19 highway. I'll deal with the CEL on every now and then.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Mudding

Here's the link to that other post I was talking about:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21725

I hope this helps

Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow 3rd engine I would have gotten a different car by now. Talk about leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I would have held a sit in at the dealer till they gave a LR3 for cost!

Diddo on the check engine light. Mine comes on about 2x a month. I just reset it with the ScanGuageII. I have also heard it is the Fuel Evap Solenoid. I bought a new genuine LR one on eBay. For $23 bills shipped, it can't hurt to swap it out. I heard they are $100 at the dealer.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

man i feel for you

Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Mudding

Oh i forgot to mention:
I'm on engine #3 also. However, the first two engine's failed due to user-error. (I was NOT driving when this happened lol)

Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Lemon Law applies to new cars NOT used ones.
You bought this thing brand new, it is on it's 3rd engine, you need to return it and get your money back.
Seriously, look it up.
I dont know where you live otherwise I look it up too just to satisfy my curiosity.
Talk to a lawyer.
As for the gas cap, buy your own, $10.
Any NON VENTED gas cap will work, just make sure the threads are the same.
Take yours into the autoparts store with you but do NOT tell them it is for a Land Rover.
A gas cap is a gas cap is a gas cap.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:31 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks to all for the info. I've combewd through the past post and I guess I am really no different then other folks out there. Of course I hate to have to just "accept it". I am dropping it off at LR today so maybe they might find somehting new this time, but at least I can ask some smarter questions/

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light