Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=2199 try these they will clean that up a bit

Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Lifts are for tall people.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Add some fender flairs and I think it will look fine.
I'm not a fan of the cut look, but if you like it, thats what matters.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, Don't know what to say tbh..................not my cuppa!! the tyres / wheels look to big imo.........

Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say i like the look. Probably a bit more than i would trim but i am liking the way that it ended up. Like said before, throw some flares on it and done deal man.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im back and forth about getting a lift... i always think to myself they didnt need a lift in camel trophy races.. so why do i?... but i don't think trimming the body to fit those tires that look a wee bit too big IMO works either. I say get some nubby nubbys that are proper size, armour, snorkel and a winch and hit the trails.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
im back and forth about getting a lift... i always think to myself they didnt need a lift in camel trophy races.. so why do i?... but i don't think trimming the body to fit those tires that look a wee bit too big IMO works either. I say get some nubby nubbys that are proper size, armour, snorkel and a winch and hit the trails.
Thats how I determine if I need a certain upgrade.
Did Camel Trophy trucks need it?
Yes- Worth getting, No- Move on.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i think its a good philosphy, the camel trophy decision maker... we don't have many rocky trails around here. i don't plan on seeking them out so i would rather spend the money elsewhere...

Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BajaXJ92
Not bad, good to see you kept the center of gravity as low as possible.

I'd be interested to see detailed pics on how you trimmed the fenders.

Did you also use wheel spacers?
THANKS!! Trim pics I'll try and get posted right before I seal up the cuts. This was all done in a days work. First hunted down the right tire for the job. Toyo Open Country MT 33x12.5x18 on Stock wheels with 50mm bolt on hub-centric wheel adapters. Stage one of the trim was at the tire shop with a sawzall. that was the scary part!!! Once it was enough to get me home from the tire shop, I went to my stone yard and flexed it out so I would know where to cut and how much. I did this with a Grinder with a cut off wheel. I followed the bottom of the sticky tape that held on my original flares. I had to go a little higher on the back as it flexes more than the front. There are still more trims I have to make and YES i will be planning on putting flares back on just the originals look like highwater pants as the fender size grew taller. The scariest of the cuts has to be the back doors. I will still need some more trimming maybe another inch or so. On the front It looks like the pinch weld behind frnt tires will be sliced with notches and will have to hammer flat. Also the top of the fenders that shares the hood compartment will either need to be raised if possible or maybe do the bump stop thing that I saw one of you guys mentioned.

The only thing I have to say after all of this is any one running 33inch or larger even with a lift will have to modify their fenders in some way, lifted or not once running under extreme articulation. ONCE the tires fit just imagine the true Articulation you can have. Lifted is nothing more than a preference!! I wheel to: Crown King, AZ; The Cinders, Flaggstaff, AZ; & Glamis, CA (DUNES), Flexing for me is for the burms. Low and wide is so Im more stable as my truck hits some extreme angles. Basically its a street legal 7 seater "RHINO"

Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The camel rovers did some amazing things and that's the kind of off-roading I dream about. However, the only kind of off-roading we have available around here has been rutted out by trucks on 44s or has a lot of rock and that requires larger tires. Also, the camel rovers made their own roads when necessary. That's not an option in national forest or on roads that have private property on both sides...unless you want some serious fines.

Quick Reply: Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...