Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

thats the difference between GA and NY.. no one has a truck on 44's around these parts... youll be lucky if you see a Ford pickup with mud on it. most are landscaping trucks mowing lawns and trimmin bushes.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to show that even the best of engineers are already trying to keep up with modern concepts of the ultimate 4x4 perception. LOW, WIDE, AXLE HEIGHT, MAXIMUM FLEX. Think about it the land rover is already great in so many ways, as you say about the camel trophy racers and stuff, the possibilities of places you can go with just the few things stated above you can have the ultimate 4x4.

Heres jeeps version of the: LOWER(than normal)40(inch rubber)
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/03/j...rty-sema-2009/

I was doing this on other vehicles before the concept was revealed.

I'll keep you updated the next time I go wheeling. Hopefully with youtube!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Thats how I determine if I need a certain upgrade.
Did Camel Trophy trucks need it?
Yes- Worth getting, No- Move on.
You all seem to be forgeting something here...............no the camels had no lift, but they also did not belong to the drivers/ teams who used them, hence it did not matter if they damaged them, and YES they did suffer a LOT of body damage which is basically what a lift "helps" prevent.

We all know the discos are capable trucks in standard form, but thats not say they cannot be made better. A simple 2" lift for example can make a world of difference to the truck, and does not affect anything else really.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
You all seem to be forgeting something here...............no the camels had no lift, but they also did not belong to the drivers/ teams who used them, hence it did not matter if they damaged them, and YES they did suffer a LOT of body damage which is basically what a lift "helps" prevent.

We all know the discos are capable trucks in standard form, but thats not say they cannot be made better. A simple 2" lift for example can make a world of difference to the truck, and does not affect anything else really.
I'm not against lifts, I've just seen these trucks do so much without them.
I might consider a lift in the future ($$$$$) but like others said, you dont really need it off road to go most places. Unless you're climbing rocks or something.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling

I might consider a lift in the future ($$$$$) but like others said, you dont really need it off road to go most places. Unless you're climbing rocks or something.
Culdn't have said it better my self. Did i forget to mention that the picture with the forklift under the wheel gave it 24'' off the ground before the other wheel wanted to lift off. Did I mention that I only paid 5k for the truck. I'm on a budget if I were to do something else to this truck on a modification level it would be new gears with rear lockers for maximum mileage and traction!!! and maybe intake and exhaust while I'm at it!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaXJ92
I think the trim job looks pretty good, Mike. Not lifting the vehicle, adding larger tires and trimming the fenders not only keeps your center of gravity low, it also retains stock drivetrain and steering angles. You also get more clearance under the diffs. It certainly couldn't hurt to throw in new longer shocks to extend tire droop during articultion, however be careful with shock length as you don't want to grenade the shock during uptravel.

It appears that he trimmed just enough to be able to stuff those tires into the fenders during articulation. Are your sway bars still connected in the 3rd pic?

Most 33in tires end up measuring out to around a 32.4in or so. I guess they look smaller since they're on......(are those 17's or 18's?)
I am not sure where you got some of this information, but some of it is not correct.
Yes, a low center of gravity will help our old D2's from rolling, only if you have the suspension to handle those types of wheeling. I am not sure what his mileage is but bottom line, his truck has dropped apx. 1.5"s from when it was new, so adding a 1.5 or 2" lift just sets it slightly higher then new and won't cause any drive line or steering angle worth talking about. The shocks are gone as is his steering stabilizer.
As for your statement about shocks, I didn't say anything about going to longer shocks.
Bottom line, I weak suspension does not cut it off the road, so as long as he stays on the road he will not get into trouble.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
good point....drive it like you're sponsored!!!

even without rock dirt roads with hills will begin to erode very quickly if not maintained....I like to go where the road grader and dump trucks can't.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I am not sure where you got some of this information, but some of it is not correct.
Yes, a low center of gravity will help our old D2's from rolling, only if you have the suspension to handle those types of wheeling. I am not sure what his mileage is but bottom line, his truck has dropped apx. 1.5"s from when it was new, so adding a 1.5 or 2" lift just sets it slightly higher then new and won't cause any drive line or steering angle worth talking about. The shocks are gone as is his steering stabilizer.
As for your statement about shocks, I didn't say anything about going to longer shocks.
Bottom line, I weak suspension does not cut it off the road, so as long as he stays on the road he will not get into trouble.
Not sure what you mean by "got" some of my information. I've been into the offroad scene for over 10 years, Mike. That includes being an active member of more than a few Four Wheel Drive Associations as well as an active Camp Jeep Trail Guide for 4 years of those 10 years. I've experienced all of my information.

I would like to see conclusive evidence of "apx. 1.5inches of spring sag" On my '96, the only spring that is really sagging is the front passenger side, which I seriously doubt was ever 1.5in higher than it is now. My shocks have been replaced before as well as my steering stabilizer, which leaves the coils. I don't see my coils ever giving me a problem offroad and i've yet to hear of anybody ever breaking a coil.

I'm still not really sure what your arguement here is, mike. Are you saying he needs a lift to go offroad? Are you implying he'll have problems offroad because he didn't lift his vehicle? Are you saying he needs to replace bad/worn parts?----if so, I would agree. However, I don't agree that he needs a lift to go offroad. Fact is, he fit the tires under the truck with trimming, can add bumpstops to keep them away from the fenders and saved himself $600+.

One thing that I would recommend the guy to do is install a tranmission cooler if the vehicle isn't already equipped with one. Turning those taller tires is going to build some extra heat in that transmission since you've yet to regear the axles.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing really at all to do with just rock climibing, deep muddy ruts will damage the car and bring you to a halt just as easy.

The point is, the Disco lacks ground clearance from day 1, so thats a GOOD thing to improve when offroad. Don't know where you go or have been "offroad" as Im obviosuly over here, but what I will say is this, I never intended to lift my Disco, but even doing the limited stuff I have up to now, it has become plainly obvious that ground clearance is a BIG factor with the Disco, even more so if you still have the factory front bumper which I did have up until a few days ago.

Getting more clearance under the diffs is a def worth while mod, the bigger tyres help a little more to, but to keep the "flex" etc the same, then its ideal to lift the truck as well, each "bit" compliments the other. I see no real point fitting big tyres as the op has in this post, then having to limit the axle travel to stop em destroying the arches, its like 2 steps forward 3 steps back imo.

So in a nutshell, no you dont "need" a lift, but you will do less damage, go better places and have more fun with one.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i have a 2" lift and cut fenders

if you make modifications to your truck to make other people and their personal tastes happy, you will never have a truck that fits YOUR taste and makes YOU happy...

i also have no carpet and have ripped off i dont know how many nonessential body parts off on the trails...

Quick Reply: Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...