Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My beer stays in the cooler that is strapped down to the eyelets in the trunk while the truck is in motion. Only at the campsite (or similar) does the beer come out.

But I don't really have private land to wheel around on, so I can't comment on what I would do in that situation.

I hope that I haven't been a dick or too harsh with my criticisms in this thread. I was only trying to convey my opinions and not tell you what you should do with your truck.

Have fun and try to keep the rubber side down.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I though this was a land rover forum.... Not a " how to, how not to drink and 4 wheel forum "

Any how, back on subject.... I replaced that air spring that I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts.... For all who ever run into this same problem I thought you might want this link if you still run SLS....

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...id4_pid48.html

If you have found for less than $140, please post...

Also I have encountered an over stressed right transmission/transfer case mount... I ordered online for $20 plus shipping... This has stopped the 4x4LOW from engaging....

I have another question for those of you who have re geared your rovers... I see that Expedition Exchange has Tractech Truetrac, but can you specify different than stock gearing??? or do I have to ask them my self??? I'm undecided if I will add a type of locking mechanism with the new gearing, or if I will only re gear.... Is there a place in ARIZONA that you have had satisfying results working with???? After running this setup, I have concluded that the stock gears are fine if you never tow, never 4wheel, or if you don't care to have passing gears on the freeway.... As I do TOW, 4Wheel, and Make passes as neccessary on freeway.... I find myself right where I new I would... ITS TIME TO RE GEAR..... I had thought of buying new gears online and taking to local shop (AZ DIFFERENTIAL) to do the install..... I am currently searching for best internet link for gears on land rovers...... All help is appreciated!!! I know all about Constructive Critisism and its place in life, so calling me a mall crawler was far from help full....

Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your looking at re gearing you might as well go with a locker set up too the stock diffs are one of the weakest points in the drivetrain. there are many many posts on spider gears failing from just pulling out of the driveway to hard off road use.

I have seen it happen personally and its not pretty esp. when your out in the dessert....

with the stress your getting from your tire selection and what your doing with the vehicle eg. off roading and towing, you really should invest money in preventing driveline failure.

if you want to stick with rover stuff call Bill over at Great Basin Rover...one of my trucks is set up with all his stuff

if your feeling ambitious and have big plans for the truck call Keith over at Rovertracks and go with the 30 spline Toyota stuff....one of my trucks

Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I sent Bill an email at Great Basin Rovers to get a quote on the lockers and gearing combo... we'll see what the budget allows.... I'll keep the forum in the loop....

as far as the right transmission mount... I installed it this afternoon (was definately bad, it was sliced in two pieces when I pulled it out) and I guess there is still something wrong with my 4x4LOW... I thought that maybe since the mount was so bad and that the transfer case was tilted to the right that it wasn't letting the shift lever engage... I'll keep poking around on this forum and see what others have found to be the solution this issue... Feel free to guide me to the thread that discusses this shifting subject more thoroughly... Thanks!!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Three Wheeling

I like the wide low look... then again this was my fav jeep i've built
Name:  e3f60cb0.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  94.6 KB

I lived in Indiana where everything was flat and the dunes in Michigan were close... flotation and low center of gravity were everything.

If it works for you and you like it... then who cares what anyone else thinks.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by russdouble
If it works for you and you like it... then who cares what anyone else thinks.
This.

It's your hobby, not someone elses. Just know what/what not to drive it on and you will be fine. Noone builds rovers for rock crawling anyway, thats what the jeep wranglers are for.

Last edited by sloan74; 01-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Here are some recent pictures of my d2 with the original fenders put back on... I've been real busy so haven't updated in a bit... I basically just placed the flares back on and screwed in place with a washer and self tappers...then masked off and painted all that the flares was short with a flat black paint to match as if the flares weren't short at all.. Overall I'm happy with it and would do it all over again...

I never ended up doing the diffs or gears yet but right now i got it in shop getting all kinds of stuff done... New Radiator, water pump, timing chain, oil pan gasket, head gaskets, machining heads, valve cover gaskets, engine mounts, transfer case, custom cdl, brakes, longer speed sensors, abs mod fault repair, DF and Rear door hinge pins, DF window regulater, PF door lock actuater, inverting spare carrier, and I'm sure I missed a few things.... If things allow I will do the front and rear driveshafts and the headlight conversion to the 03-04 models...

Overall the truck runs great... I'm doing these things to try and get it to a level reliable foundation... the truck has never let me down and am doing these things to make sure it never will... the stuck on 4H transfer case was the main reason for taking to shop.... It was stuck before fitting with these wheels... I'm ancious to finally run 4L on this setup, especially with CDL..!!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Three Wheeling

My attachments did not stay attached.... Here is what was supposed to be with the last reply....

Attached Thumbnails Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...-2010-12-08-10.41.52.jpg   Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...-img_20101226_171756.jpg   Check This OUT!! 33inches no w/out lift...-img_20101225_160658.jpg