Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Close to disasterous problem: thoughts? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/close-disasterous-problem-thoughts-13860/)

RamblingMan 05-13-2008 06:20 PM

Close to disasterous problem: thoughts?

I've been having trouble with the temp gauge reading too cold so I was checking out the 3 sensors (coolant temp, temp guage, Condenser fans). I decided to test the coolant temp at my usual running temp and realized that my normal running temp is 180deg F but if pushed beyond idle will rise to 210deg F. At anything about 180 or with A/C on fully, the condenser fans never turn on. So apparently I'm overheating but get enough compensation from my viscous fan that I haven't blown the engine. Any thoughts? Am I not understanding something properly?

RM

Spike555 05-13-2008 07:08 PM

RE: Close to disasterous problem: thoughts?

Check your coolant level first and make sure that it is full.
Have you repalced your thermostat? The proper t-stat is a 195F, so your trk running around 210 is normal. 230 is overheating, 250 is death.
Start with the coolant level, if it is low you will not get a accurate reading on the dash.
If your trk is running to cold with the proper coolant level your t-stat is bad.
If your sensor were bad 90% of the time your gauge just wont work.

Disco Mike 05-13-2008 08:21 PM

What year model and mileage will help.

RamblingMan 05-15-2008 08:24 PM

Sorry, its a 94 D1, 93K miles.

I'm not sure if the engine is running hot or cold.
The guage reads cold with coolant temp of 180. If I idle at 1500rpm with A/C on high for five minutes it climbs out of cold into the "normal range" with coolant temp of 210. The T-stat is new. So I guess I run cold too often right? What could cause this?

Spike555 05-15-2008 09:00 PM

Are you sure that your gauge is accurate? Is the viscous fan clutch locked up? Did you get the right t-stat?
They sell low, medium and high temp t-stats. You want the medium one, 195F.
Running to cold will kill your MPG as well as carbon up the engine really fast and bad. Are you using premium gas?

RamblingMan 05-16-2008 11:07 PM

Funny you mention gas milage. I get horrible milage, usually single digits, but 11 or 12 hwy. I replaced the t-stat with the 88deg Cel (approx 190F), its the standard one from DAP. Where have you seen the three different ones?

Spike555 05-17-2008 07:35 AM

They were at AutoZone, I assume that you are in Canada and I dont know if you have a AutoZone up there or not.
I just looked at AB and they too only list one T-stat and it is a 190F, maybe you got a bad one and it is stuck open?