Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking noise in park and neutral

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:49 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise in park and neutral

Hey guys... Need some help on this one. I usually find what I need when searching the forums, but not this time.

for starters, 2000 disco 2 SE7 120k. rear air suspension removed. I have 3 disco 2's now and have done Mike's list on 2 of them and I'm mid way through it on the 3rd. I'd post pictures of my little fleet but never figured out how you do it or why its so hard to do on here, but back to my issue.

I'm hearing a clunking noise ONLY.... when I'm stopped, engine running at idle, and ONLY in park or neutral (so please don't tell me its a driveshaft, because its not). As soon as I shift into gear (forward or reverse) there is not noise at all. It has done this for a while but very quietly and hard to notice, but about a week ago it got louder. My gut feeling would be something with the torque converter... best guess without getting all up in it. Any ides besides driveshafts would be great.

I work on them all myself, along with 2 other cars, my 67 F-250 and 2 motorcycles. Not trying to say I know everything, far from it, but I'm no average Joe. I've put roughly 75-85 thousand miles on my discos in 3-1/2 years (about $18,000 in gas... OUCH!!!) with probably 20,000 of those miles off pavement. I'm not rich, I just love anything with an engine, and don't like selling my vehicles.

That being said, I don't mess with automatic transmissions besides swapping them out and praying, lol, which I have done on my latest rover purchase with success. what a pain in the *** doing by myself tho.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

It could be something coming apart in the torque converter. Or it could be loose. I would check the bolts first, there's a plate you can take off for access to them. Also, these trucks do occasionally break the flex plate.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Drifting

i have seen the thread about the guy who shattered his flex plate towing a boat. I would think that would cause some issues driving tho. Once im moving the sound goes away. i probably should check the torque converter. I really hope i dont have to pull a tranny again. I did that on my newest (to me) disco to replace the flywheel. Not my idea of a fun job. Thanks for the quick reply

Old 08-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

They don't always shatter. Sometimes they just crack. I have heard of the bolts loosening too. It certainly sounds like something loose. Hopefully it is just the bolts. That's an easy fix.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:59 AM
Drifting

What I'm hoping is.... that its not a rear main bearing going out. I've had one vehicle that had a main go out, and as you rev the motor, the clunk noise got worse. This goes away when you put in gear and drive. So I don't think its a main (I hope its not). I'll update if I find the problem. If anyone else have any thoughts or ideas, I'm open to suggestion.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Any updates on this. I'm running into the exact same issue. Haven't had time to get under the truck in the past 2 weeks.
Thanks for any help and updates.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:02 AM
Drifting

No updates from me yet. She's parked until I have time. I work at a golf course in Washington state and its been crazy busy lately. I'm hoping this weekend I can look at it but no guarantee.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:06 AM
Winching

Cheers, keep me posted mine:

Slight rattle at idle. Definitely in the TC transmission area.
Only at idle after truck warms up.
Not in gear and not when revving.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:36 AM
Drifting

Yes... Exactly the same thing my 00' is doing. Do you have a slight vibration when in "drive" accelerating forward, only for a few seconds until maybe 15-20mph?

Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Winching

Well I took my truck to a local shop, they came back with a diagnosis of flex plate replacement. quoted 7.5hr labour at $120 hr...christ!! also, this is the funny part, . They quoted the part at $1100.00 from LR!!?? I told the guy that Atlantic British sells the part for $42.99. They then went into the big thing about genuine parts etc etc.
Anyway, I order the part for Atlantic British. I paid an extra $20 for the heavy duty one. I'll just pull it apart myself and hopefully RAVE will be able t help me through it. If there is anyone out there thats done this in there garage, I'd love to be able to reach out with questions. Cheers. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise in park and neutral