Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   codes, codes and more codes! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/codes-codes-more-codes-79891/)

jringeno 06-26-2016 03:53 PM

codes, codes and more codes!

3 Attachment(s)
well im thinking its either an O2 sensor of MAF.....input?

Attachment 56090Attachment 56091Attachment 56092

disc oh no 06-26-2016 06:40 PM

I would look into the bank two, upstream o2 sensor. Those codes are all related to that sensor. You may want to just replace it and see what happens. Looks to me like it's probably dead. You could take a look at the wiring first, just to be sure it's not melted to the exhaust or something like that.
It's not likely to have anything to do with the maf. That will normally effect both banks.

jringeno 06-26-2016 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by disc oh no (Post 572004)
I would look into the bank two, upstream o2 sensor. Those codes are all related to that sensor. You may want to just replace it and see what happens. Looks to me like it's probably dead. You could take a look at the wiring first, just to be sure it's not melted to the exhaust or something like that.
It's not likely to have anything to do with the maf. That will normally effect both banks.

sounds good, i will get one on order. thanks!

number9 06-26-2016 10:56 PM

I've been able to fix "too lean" codes by finding vacuum leaks and reattaching or clamping vacuum hoses. Most were in SAI system and used small cable ties to clamp because they are easily knocked off doing other maintenance.

Since your 02 code is also fuel ratio related you may want to check for vacuum leaks first.

From D2 manual:

P0150 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (bank 2, sensor 1) Front sensor RH bank stoichiometric ratio outside
operating band

P0174 System too lean (bank 2) Multiplication injector adaptive fuelling - lean limit
exceeded RH bank

P1174 System too lean (bank 2) Additive injector adaptive fuelling - lean limit exceeded
RH bank

BritishautoworksSD 06-26-2016 11:02 PM

Not sure if your reader can show Fuel Trims but this is very helpful in diagnosis.

chubbs878 06-27-2016 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by BritishautoworksSD (Post 572044)
Not sure if your reader can show Fuel Trims but this is very helpful in diagnosis.

This is true

batard 06-27-2016 04:41 AM

Just to reiterate, don't go out an buy an oxygen sensor until checking for vacuum leaks, which are more common than a faulty sensor.

disc oh no 06-27-2016 06:55 PM

A vacuum leak or low fuel pressure can occasionally give you lean codes on one bank. However, both of those problems should give lean codes for both banks. If you have a scan tool with live data, have a look at the fuel trims. If they are both around +20 or +25% then go after fuel or vacuum leaks. Sounds to me like a bad o2 sensor or wiring.

samroy92 06-28-2016 01:29 AM

I had the 1172 code, I had a vacuum leak on the left side of the upper intake manifold. I would listen for any hissing noises when under the hood. That's all the help I am able to provide though, good luck.

NickAdams 06-28-2016 07:57 AM

A Scangauge II will give you live readings of your oxygen sensors. I imagine many other scanners will as well. Output should continuously vary from 0 to 1 volt. Easy to tell if you need a new sensor (or new wiring.)