Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes, so many codes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 01:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
... Took me forever to get the damn thing out - there’s just no space to get the tools under there.
... Really don’t feel like replacing it again, but better now then once it’s fused into the pipe.
I'm a little confused by this. The Bank 1 upstream sensor is easy to reach from below the truck with a 3/4" open end wrench. If you're trying to remove the sensor from the top using an O2 sensor socket, just add more extensions to your socket-ratchet setup. No reaching needed.

I don't know whether or not you have Harbor Freight stores in Canada, but a 4-piece, 3/8" drive impact extension set that will give you all the reach you need is $7.99 here.
https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-impact-extension-set-4-pc-67926.html
As for "fused into the pipe", I've never had a problem with an O2 sensor not coming out. They come with anti-seize already applied, but I always add a little more.

I’ve realized I’ve bruised my ribs by trying to get the plug sorted - so it’s at the edge of my reach, hard to be delicate.
Are you talking about the electrical connector? Have you tried standing on a step stool? Once you reached it did you slide it off it's little bracket and zip tie it in a more accessible location like I recommended earlier? If you can reach it again, try to press the tab marked with an arrow in the pic below and get it out from behind the engine for good.

Any way to test the sensor without removing it again? Such a huge pain in the proverbial.
Not that I know of.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by mln01; 08-14-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:27 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh I wish it had been that easy. For some reason mine’s up higher that in your photo: the pipe is up beside the frame rail. Couldn’t get an open end wrench on it with better than 30° off angle. Took me forever with all the extensions I have to find anywhere I could get a breaker bar with a claw type o2 wrench to give me more than a few degrees of swing. I spent an hour and a half under there trying to wedge the breaker bar into all kinds of weird spaces.
And no chance from above, it angles up into the bulkhead way to much to get a tool from that angle.

And when it did finally let go it was only with an ungodly amount of force on a long breaker bar. Northern truck? We use a lot of salt on the roads up here. Most jobs are unendingly complicated by just trying to get bolts to let go.

Now I wonder if my whole exhaust line isn’t bent out of shape or something odd. Definitely doesn’t come down below the frame like that.

The plug I did attach up on that bracket as suggested. I think my original metal tab had rusted off anyway. I used a bit of copper as I thought it might get too hot for the zip tie plastic.

Whole project is on hold for two weeks as I’m now dragging a canoe and the kids into the forest with a borrowed vw golf. Kind of defeating the whole point of having a Land Rover. 😡