Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Coilpack Question (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/coilpack-question-70247/)

cruzer555 11-10-2014 07:31 PM

Coilpack Question

I bought a 2004 D2 with a broken ignition wire. I was told by the seller that the coil pack would also need replacement due to firing into a broken wire. Just want to know if thats true or not before I buy both. I searched for ages but didn't find the answer to this question.
Thanks

Colorado David 11-10-2014 08:02 PM

That's a good question. I don't know the answer, but I have an opinion. I've heard and read that it is possible to change plug wires without removing the upper intake manifold. I can't imagine how small the person's hands would have to be to accomplish this feat, but I know I can't do it. How many miles are on the vehicle? At some point it is likely that a coil pack will fail. I replaced plug wires and coil packs at the same time and now know exactly how old they are. I've had coil packs fail at some point on several vehicles. Some are way easier to replace than the DII. For me, if I didn't know how old the coil packs were, I'd replace them at the same time I did the wires rather than find out I had to take all that stuff apart again later. Just my thought. Good luck. If I ever have to replace coil packs again, I think I will seriously consider the kit to relocate them to the front of the engine.

parke 11-10-2014 08:42 PM

There is a kit to move the coil pack?!? Please tell me more.

Colorado David 11-10-2014 09:01 PM

It was discussed in this forum a few months back. We'll have to search for it.

cappedup 11-10-2014 09:10 PM

Changing the wires is easily possible without removing the IM. Many many posts. It isn't quick. But it isn't that hard. Main thing is moving the SAI tubes out of the way.

Search.

jafir 11-10-2014 09:20 PM

It's less than 30 minutes to pull the upper intake. I don't see any reason not to.

cruzer555 11-11-2014 11:32 AM

Hmm ok I'll have to move the secondary air injection parts and see if that gives me access to change just the 1 wire. If it does I'll just try that. If I go through the trouble to pull the manifold I'll probably put the coil in even if it doesn't necessarily need it, just so I don't have to do the job twice...

drowssap 11-11-2014 11:49 AM

it really isnt that much of a problem to move the upper intake to get room

ArmyRover 11-11-2014 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 490531)
it really isnt that much of a problem to move the upper intake to get room

He's right it just looks daunting.

mln01 11-16-2014 06:44 PM

If you pull the upper intake do you have to have a new gasket to reinstall it, or if you are careful can you reuse the one that was in place?