Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At a complete loss with different codes. Need HELP :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default At a complete loss with different codes. Need HELP :)

So these are my current issues. I love my discovery, but these codes are driving me insane. I've been working on these awhile. Here's what I've done:
New Bosch O2 sensors
New MAF
New Bosch Platinum Plugs
Bought new oil separator but haven't installed it yet.

When I bought it the CAT's had already been cut out. I put a plug fouler on bank 2 sensor 2 but maybe I need something taller, that takes the O2 out of the stream more. Any help appreciated.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Do you still have old MAF?

if yes, put it back and clear the codes. If same codes come back, we can rule out MAF

Old 11-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Do you still have old MAF?

if yes, put it back and clear the codes. If same codes come back, we can rule out MAF
I do still have the old one. I will swap them tomorrow .Thanks for the help.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Record your 02 sensor voltages, bank 1 and 2, sensor 1. Post up here or on youtube video preferably. Fully warmed up, idling.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by rcdoeshair
It's been a but cold but I did get the old MAF put back in but haven't drove it enough yet to see what all codes I'm going to get. Will update once I drive a bit more, should be tomorrow hopefully.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by rcdoeshair
Originally Posted by Extinct
Record your 02 sensor voltages, bank 1 and 2, sensor 1. Post up here or on youtube video preferably. Fully warmed up, idling.
After putting in the old MAF to see if that the problem, I drove it around for a bit and let it get nice and warm. Then parked it and these are the readings I got.

Also, I noticed that my fuel trims were weird. Like I said, I don't have cats's so my rear fuel trims was 0%. But my front bank 2 stayed at 25% and my bank 1 was bouncing between 25% and -100.8% .

Old 11-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Camel Trophy

We need to see a graph of your oxygen sensor voltages, you need to use the graph function instead of the display function. Record a video and put it on youtube with a link to the video. Your oxygen sensor voltages should be cycling between 1 volt and zero volts - the display that you posted shows only .1 volts. If it only ever reads that you likely have bad oxygen sensors - they read close to zero when they go bad. the sensor shoudl read 1 volt on cold startup, then start cycling after a few minutes. zero volts or .1 volts indicates a full lean condition, that would cause your fuel trims to go full rich.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Did any of the codes come back?

Old 11-20-2018, 06:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Extinct
We need to see a graph of your oxygen sensor voltages, you need to use the graph function instead of the display function. Record a video and put it on youtube with a link to the video. Your oxygen sensor voltages should be cycling between 1 volt and zero volts - the display that you posted shows only .1 volts. If it only ever reads that you likely have bad oxygen sensors - they read close to zero when they go bad. the sensor shoudl read 1 volt on cold startup, then start cycling after a few minutes. zero volts or .1 volts indicates a full lean condition, that would cause your fuel trims to go full rich.
Ok, I will get a video, but if I remember, they didn't move much at all, they stayed pretty much the same.

As far as codes coming back, I only drove it a couple of miles as I live out in the middle of nowhere. I just drove up to the hunting cabin and back, so maybe 2 or 3 miles total.

Not sure if this changes anything but the part that's circled, (this is a Google pic as it's dark here, but mine is not connected to anything. I believe it's supposed to go to the SAI canister?? I found the hard plastic line that comes from the canister and I believe is supposed to hook up to this valve, but it wasn't connected to anything .when I hooked it up to this valve, the engine ran like ****! The idle speed was low .

As it sits right now, I'm getting about 8mpg (yay me). Before I changed the plugs I was getting about 13.

Last edited by rcdoeshair; 11-21-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 AM
Camel Trophy

my guess is the low fuel economy is because both oxygen sensors are dead and thereby reading full lean, causing that ECU to go full Rich to try and compensate.

Quick Reply: At a complete loss with different codes. Need HELP :)