Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering a discovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering a discovery

me and my wife are looking to get a larger vehicle and thought that a discovery would be a good choice we test drove one this past weekend. I have always likedthe look of them and what they are capable of.
I know gas mileage will suck and I knowI am buying used ( i've never owned new so I knownothing else).
we looked at an 01 SE7 with 55k miles on it. when we test drove the car there was a sloshing noise in the center console region. The floor boards became soaked with waterwithout us noticing. The mechanic told us it was an evaporater valve that had gone bad. The mechanic at the dealer said that he replaced the valve, but we drove it again and there was still the sloshing/ gurgling sound of water in the center console
I am personally no mechanic I can do basics such as change the oil and other fluids and do the whole tire change and rotate. My dad and brother-in-law are both mechanics so they come in handy, but Ialso hate taking up their time with my problems
Can anyone give us some ideas as to what this is and what could be done to permanently fix the problem.
I also know the 60k service is coming up should i consider taking it to a dealr so they can thouroughly inspect the entire vehicle?
Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 08-28-2007, 11:04 PM
dow
Three Wheeling
Default RE: considering a discovery

clogged AC drains, easy to fix, but a bit messy

Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Three Wheeling

Hi Jayard,
Have you thought about getting an '03 or '04 model that is still under factory warranty through 50k? FYI the '03 & '04 models include scheduled maintenance so your 45k maintenance will be free (as well as the battery if it goes out). Seems like for the extra $4-$5k the truck costs you'd avoid a whole heap of issues and have a car that will have been around you and your driving habits longer than anyone else's.

just my 2 cents, hope you find a great model whatever one you choose, good luck in the hunt and enjoy the ride,
Walter

Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Three Wheeling

My 96 DI SE7 makes the same sound behind the pax side dash. It hasn't given me any trouble and it's sorta nice to have a babling brook riding along with me![sm=smiley2.gif]

I can't comment on the soaking carpets. I know an earlier problem posted here with similar symptoms had something to do with the heater core which is located (at least on a DI) behind pax dash.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Daryl,
Your noise may not be a plugged up a/c drain, but you are probably low on coolant and that can be a serious issue, check it out and bleed the engine.

Jay, if you have need to ask any questions, feel free to call me any time, I would be glad to help you. By the way, an 01 is a great truck, I would stay away from the 03's unless you can get a warranty on it cause they have oil pump/engine issues, many engine went bad due to a problem with the oil pump that was later corrected for th 2004 models.
303-862-7680
Colorado

Old 08-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

jayrd21 - That sound is most likely air trapped in your cooling system. If you haven't bought it yet, tell them you want the coolant changed first and see if that clears it. They should know how to properly bleed it.

FYI, there isn't a valve really for the evap coil. It's just a drain with 2 tubes that come out the bottom. There are little tips on the tubes that get clogged a lot. Common problem. If you carpet is now dry and you still hear sloshing, The cooling system needs to be bled.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
Jay, if you have need to ask any questions, feel free to call me any time, I would be glad to help you. By the way, an 01 is a great truck, I would stay away from the 03's unless you can get a warranty on it cause they have oil pump/engine issues, many engine went bad due to a problem with the oil pump that was later corrected for th 2004 models.
303-862-7680
Colorado
Hi

You have me worried now.

I have been looking very closely at an 03 TD5 ES at a Land Rover main dealer.

Are you saying I should stay away or is there any checks I can make?

Cheers.

Robin

PS This would be my first Land Rover and my first 4x4 so I don't want it to be a disaster!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Could be nothing more then someone letting their coolant level get low. If you are concerned just have a mechanic do a cpplant pressure test to see if there is a leak or not.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Drifting

That's intested about the '03 oil pump issues. I have 2003 SE7 and it's down at the dealer having some major service done. I got it used and the previous owner didn't take much care of it. In addition to all the stuff they are doing, I told them to check out the oil pump and get back to me since I have noticed the Oil light on the dash coming on a couple of times. It has come on only at idle speed after I start it up, but then goes off if I rev the engine or put it in gear and start driving.

Should I have it replaced anyway if they come back and say nothing is wrong? Can I replace it with a 2004 spec one, or is there a permanent way to fix this issue that you describe?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Drifting

I just got a call from the Rover dealer. The techs put in normal oil into the vehicle instead of my amsoil that I brought. They checked out the oil pressure and it was 45psi. So they say the oil pump looks and checks out ok. But the service advisor noticed that they didn't use the amsoil, so they drained it, put it in andinstalled the filter andwhen they checked it again, the oil pressure was 41psi. They said this was still in the normal range, but it's just that the synthetic is a little thinner and the oil light might come on when it's first being driven. I'll obviously do an engine flush again at 90k since I can't seem to keep regular oil out of this engine!

Still, Disco Mike, if you know of anything I should do with my '03 oil pump to prevent the engine from blowing up I think I'd like to do it.

Quick Reply: considering a discovery