Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering a discovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: considering a discovery

ORIGINAL: Robster
Hi

You have me worried now.

I have been looking very closely at an 03 TD5 ES at a Land Rover main dealer.

Are you saying I should stay away or is there any checks I can make?

Cheers.

Robin

PS This would be my first Land Rover and my first 4x4 so I don't want it to be a disaster!!!!!!!!!!
'Ello Robin, don't get many Brits around here Nothing wrong with a Disco II... TD5 is a cracking engine, although the earlier Tdis are less electrical and therefore easier to fix yourself and potentially better/easier if you plan on doing any deep wading. TD5's have had their faults and there have been some recalls - don't know a huge amount about that model year but check that any recalls have been done and that, for a vehicle of that age, it has a full service history before parting with any folding stuff.

If you're planning to use it off road or for green laning regularly, bear in mind it will get scratched up and that the traction control fitted isn't exactly the same as the locking centre diff on the earlier models, some prefer it, some loath it. If you're aiming to use it solely as a road car then it makes no difference.

If you're after something to use mostly off road you'll get a heck of a lot of early Tdi for very little money in the UK... a friend recently bought a K plate Tdi for about £800 with 12 months MOT and a service history. Compare that to the £3k my Tdi defender cost me and you'll se what I mean!

There's a few of us go out laning every month or so, you're more than welcome to join us at some point if you fancy it... drop me an e-mail via the forum.

Cheers,

Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: considering a discovery

My '03 disco II did the same thing after I startedusing a synthetic blend, but only for the first 4-5 starts, after a while I guess the computer figured out something was new and quit putting it up there.