Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Consistant High Idle. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/consistant-high-idle-31559/)

Spencerfitch 06-03-2010 05:54 PM

Consistant High Idle.

Starting a new thread with all my new information.

-Started when I changed spark plugs.
-Switched Back to Champion.
-No Vacuum Leak
-New Plugs had black carbon buildup on them.
[Whats this mean?]
-TPS, MAF, IAC Are all good.
-No Check Engine Light
-Possibly Slight Rough Idle at lower rpms.
-It seems to increase with Engine Temperature
-Sometimes it starts low [1000rpms] but always increases to at least 1500rpms.

Should I take it to the dealership tomorrow and ask them to run TESTBOOK and reset the ecm?

Spike555 06-03-2010 10:06 PM

Take it to the dealer and be done with it.
Just report back what little stupid thing ti was so the rest of us know.
It has to be something stupid that you overlooked.

Spencerfitch 06-03-2010 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 180850)
Take it to the dealer and be done with it.
Just report back what little stupid thing ti was so the rest of us know.
It has to be something stupid that you overlooked.

Yes im sure it is. Thought on another forum, two guys had similar issues relating to the battery. Mines two years old.

Only thing is I dont want to be ripped of by the dealer. I also dont have money to blow as im unemployed.

So Id like to be able to tell them what to do so they dont charge me for something stupid.

jbriggs 06-04-2010 12:30 AM

"Last thing f@#$ with is the first thing thats bad". In other words whatever you touched last is most likely your problem. Check your firing order and make sure the right wires are on the right plugs. Don't be embarrased I've done it before as I'm sure a lot of others have but won't admit it.

Spencerfitch 06-04-2010 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by jbriggs (Post 180868)
"Last thing f@#$ with is the first thing thats bad". In other words whatever you touched last is most likely your problem. Check your firing order and make sure the right wires are on the right plugs. Don't be embarrased I've done it before as I'm sure a lot of others have but won't admit it.

id love to be wrong..

plugs are marked for cylinders at coil packs

and cylenders are

8-----7
6-----5
4-----3
2-----1
|
|
V
FRONT

jbriggs 06-04-2010 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch (Post 180869)
id love to be wrong..

plugs are marked for cylinders at coil packs

and cylenders are

8-----7
6-----5
4-----3
2-----1
|
|
V
FRONT

So they are on the right ones? And did you say you changed back to stock plugs again? Let me bounce this off a couple guys I know and see if they have ever heard of this problem. I'll get back to you.

tornado_735 06-04-2010 05:48 AM

Perhaps the idle air control is breathing it's last breath?

Spencerfitch 06-04-2010 09:32 AM

nope.

humroot 06-04-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch (Post 180859)
Yes im sure it is. Thought on another forum, two guys had similar issues relating to the battery. Mines two years old.

Only thing is I dont want to be ripped of by the dealer. I also dont have money to blow as im unemployed.

So Id like to be able to tell them what to do so they dont charge me for something stupid.

I know this might be a stretch, but I would rather chime in with something stupid than have you go to the dealer.

I have a DII and I know when I work near the intake my throttle cable gets stuck on a bolt for th AC and I have a high idle. Just thinking that you may want to check around the throttle cable for anything unusual. Hope you figure it out.

Spencerfitch 06-04-2010 11:04 PM

WELL, I went to the BATON ROUGE dealer today.

They can't get to it untill the 10th.
Called the New Orleans Branch. Cant get to it till the 21st.

Found a local Euro shop called the V shop. Im really glad they are alot more friendly and can get to it Monday..

The dealers service department really sucked..