Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Coolant/Anti-Freeze Question that I can't find in the threads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/coolant-anti-freeze-question-i-cant-find-threads-89656/)

jstorz 05-24-2018 04:45 PM

Coolant/Anti-Freeze Question that I can't find in the threads

So the new to my son Disco II(2002) was bought with a salvage title. It sounds like some front end damage exceeded the value and 2 owners back put in a new radiator and bumper and got it back on the road (actually runs well w/no leaks to speak of). Next owners wife didn't like the gas mileage after 6 months and now its my (sons') project. While looking under the hood I noticed the overflow tank had a greenish tint. So, it appears the rebuild mechanic filled the system with Prestone II , what are the ramifications here? Green and red not mixed, no leaks, temperature is good, I know it won't last as long, but if mixed with distilled water then I shouldn't have any scale issues, Can I just replace the green on a yearly basis or should I (post-haste) flush this system with water a few times and switch to Dex-cool?
Thank you

Extinct 05-24-2018 07:56 PM

Whatever you do DO NOT put Dexcool back in. The green is way better. Replace it at Prestone recommended intervals, no other maintenance needed.

jstorz 05-24-2018 09:13 PM

I am aware of the mixing/sludge/gelatin issue. Thank you for the response. Unless I hear of bad consequences, I'll do as you recommend. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Jeffrey

jastutte 05-24-2018 09:56 PM

The DexCool is very bad for the aluminum block and if mixed with air can become acidic.

I have changed all my rovers to the old school green stuff with good results.

jstorz 05-24-2018 10:30 PM

Thank you. I'd heard about the issues if air gets in the system(fairly normal for a poorly engineered cooling system) so Green actually makes sense if the system has been properly flushed.
Feels like the engineers got ahead of themselves.
Jeffrey

jamestfl 05-25-2018 09:15 AM

NEVER use Dex Cool in these engines. Stick with green- premix or with distilled water, some add water wetter or similar. Get and use accurate temp gauge.

Big Jim Swade 05-25-2018 03:08 PM

I've still have Dexcool in my 01. Never had any issues with it as long as you change it once in a while.

Jeff Blake 05-25-2018 03:13 PM

Xerex G-05 is good stuff. HOAT.

razorkill12 05-27-2018 12:03 AM

Green is good...no dexcool...
I have used mopar green coolant since I got my discovery for the past 6 or 7 years....

PalmettoDisco 05-27-2018 02:52 PM

Dexcool is okay, IF MAINTAINED!! It wouldn't have come from the factory with it, if it was harmful to aluminum engines. However, it's not as forgiving as regular green coolant, with ignored maintenance to the cooling system. The best of both worlds, price ignored, is global like the mentioned Xerex G-05. Use any one you like, just maintain the cooling system.