Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Dump

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Dump

My d2 has started dumping coolant into what eventually amounts to a puddle. I refill the reservoir about once a week and theres a small mist coming from what looks like the front top of the motor on the driver's side. what are the possible causes? The problem just started about 2 weeks ago and I haven't been driving the disco much. The first occurrence of the problem, the engine temp jumped into the red. After refilling the coolant its been at normal but It still dumps a puddle every time you shut it down. I haven't been driving the disco much but just wanted to do some research before I take it into the shop.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I know, but I am curious if you have spent a few minutes under the hood to find it your self?
Check it out and get back to us with what you find, you'll never learn what makes your truck tick if you don't.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Mike, I'll bet that your throttle body heater is leaking, and if you are halfway handy, you can get a cheap fix kit at the dealer and do it yourself.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:54 PM
4th Gear

Well I got off my *** today and took a look under the hood. Once the engine reached normal operating temp, I took a picture of it and compared it to a cooling system diagram I found online. Its the Cooling system bleed hose, unfortunately its the weekend and the parts department is closed. I've emailed the parts manager and called my mechanic to check if anyone has the part. I think it looks easy enough, I'll get the part on Monday and get'er done.

I took a picture of the problem so if anyone else has a suggestion, much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Dump-disco2leak.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

replace that hose, is it split?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thats not a bleed hose, that is the hose that goes to your throttle body heater plate.
The heater plate gasket is a VERY common leak, replace the gasket and you should be good to go.
www.atlanticbritish.com and bookmark it.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Mudding

take a piece of copper tubing, bend it into a "U", use 2 small hoseclamps and bypass. I don't know why they bother with a throttle body heater plate.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
4th Gear

ok I just watched the thing leak again and it was nowhere near where the heater plate gasket is. I mean I just cant see how the liquid its traveling to the drip site. Just to make sure I've been observing the right part, I've included a small picture of the diagram I've been going off of. The heater plate gasket is the darker piece in the diagram, my personal opinion is still the hose since thats where I'm observing the physical drip.

Much appreciated

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Dump-rnd3062.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

I had the exact same problem. It took me a while to locate it but it was coming from the bottom of the coolant resevoir tank. There was a crack in the nipple where the hose connected and was spirting a tiny stream of coolant. It was very hard to see. I had to replace the resevoir since the nipple finally snapped clean off when I fiddled with it.

Give that a look. Hope that helps!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its going downhill, and traveling on the underside of the hose.. shouldnt be to hard to feel under the hose and find where its wet and where its not, thereby finding the leak

Quick Reply: Coolant Dump