Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

Ok, I just had my '01 Disco II serviced and had a throttle body gasket replaced also. When we picked up the vehicle you could see and smell that it was burning coolant but I was told that they had spilt some coolant and that it was just burning off. Anyway, a few days later now my wife is still complaining of the smell although it isn't as bad as it was when we picked up the vehicle. Last night I get home from class and open the hood and look to see if I can see anything and I see coolant gathered around the rocker cover gasket on the driver side at the rear of the rocker cover (right under the bolt). I wipe it off and it slowly seeps back, so I drive the vehicle around the block to get the temp up, the temp gage stops in the middle I pull in the garage with the vehicle running and open the hood, I can see the coolant slowly dripping from the area in question.

My questions, and they may be dumb as I am not an engine expert:

I am suspecting this is a rocker cover gasket issue, but should there be coolant in this area?

If coolant shouldn't be here, maybe it is leaking from somewhere else and following the path of least resistance until it drips off at the back of the rocker cover.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Coolant Leak

Your throttle body is still leaking, there's nothing else in that area that would drip on the valve cover. Take it back and tell them to fix it.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

same thing happened to me. I bypassed it.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Go back to whoever did the coolant leak repair, have them fix it. What color is the coolant? Make sure they bleed the coolant system so you don't get into over heat issues.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Mudding

...also, ask them if they replaced just the gasket or the whole plate. Someone here mentioned to me that the plate can warp and replacing the gasket is simply not good enough for a fix. I ordered the kit for about $20.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Three Wheeling

The coolant is pink, I believe it was flushed and filled when the did the gasket the first time.

I'll ask if they replaced the plate when I take it back.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, so I just got home from class and looked over the car again to see if I could see the leak path from the throttle body to the rocker cover, no luck. So, I am attaching some pictures where the fluid seems to be dripping from, not sure if this is the start but this is where the concentration of fluid is located. Please help identify the leak. Again, it is worse after the engine has heated up.

Thanks.
Joe

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As already mentioned take it back and have them fix it, the t-body is still leaking.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Just a follow up: had the wife take the Disco back to the repair shop after I spoke with them this morning. They inspected it and found a plug that had been removed and must have gotten a crack or split in it when it was removed and reinstalled. I am not sure which plug or cap this was as I didn't go to the shop with my wife, but my guess is that it is something around the throttle body area. The fixed and apologized and we should be good to go. Thanks for everyone's help.