Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Help

Coolant Leak Help [/align][hr]

I have been a happy LR/Disco II owner for 3 months now despite all the horror stories and as a weekend/emergency mechanic (fix if it's it broke) I thank all of you for the advise you post.
I have a 2002 Disco II../57,650 miles../No MODS.../No 4x4'ing
I guess my issue started this morning when the OAT in Va beach finally dropped from upper 80's to the mid 60's. My drive to work was normal, but I had the heat on. After spending 3 hours at work I noticed that I had a puddle under my truck. I drove a few miles to the gym, where I noticed a coolant leak. (Not a gusher but it was coming out) I figured i'd get home. As I started to drive, the engine temp started to spike until I turned off the heater! Temp gauge went back to midline..and I had no other issues for a 10mile ride home. Once in the driveway
- I let the truck idle for about 15-17 minutes: NO LEAK
- Turned on the heater: NO LEAK (I did get a slight rise in engine temp, but the gauge was soon was back in the middle)
- All hoses/connections look good and the coolant is a little low (but nothing alarming)
- Could not duplicate the LEAK
Sticky thermostat? Or something else

Thanks in advance for your ideas and help[/align]

Old 10-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Leak Help

First, fill your coolant bottle right to the top tonight after the truck cools off, do it again in the morning then find a small shop that can do a coolant pressure test to find the leak.
Under no circumstance drive and let it get hot till you have it fixed, you can loose an engine easily that way.
If you have any questions call me
303-862-7680

Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE
the weather got warm and the leak went away!?!?...my mech. said to bring it back when it starts again...
ok..so it got cold again this am and I got the leak back. I had the under plastic off...so it was easy to find
QUESTION: Would it be stupid of me to say the "drip" leak is coming froma badsump gasket?
I bleed the system of air...and the leak is opposite side of the thermostat
((I looked it up on my CD ROM...and that what the picture says...))
((I do not smell coolant on my oil dip stick... and I have NO coolant in my oil))
....even during stop and go morning traffic my temp comtinues to stay mid-line
not going to risk it so i'ts parked..but if a sump gasket sound right..i can get that done and save myself a few$$
Any advise?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have someone pressure test the coolant system to find the leak, don't wait around on this cause one day she will over heat and there goes the engine.