Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak Identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Oil Leak Identification

I was changing my oil today and finally noticed the small drops from my nagging coolant leak. I believe it is coming off one of the belt driven pumps on the front (maybe the water pump), but I'm not sure what it is. The top half of the engine, from the exhaust manifold up is dry. A pressure test holds pressure fairly well, it is a slow leak.

The first image is a coolant drip I noticed on some tubes around the oil pan. Then I noticed some coolant appeared to be running down the bottom of the block on the second pic. The third and fourth pics are the highest source of coolant I could find drips of.

I really appreciate any advice or suggestions from those who have spent more time underneath a Land Rover.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak Identification-img_2888.jpg   Coolant Leak Identification-img_2892.jpg   Coolant Leak Identification-img_2894.jpg   Coolant Leak Identification-img_2895.jpg  

Last edited by robert.juric; 07-05-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Just a thought, it might help to clean the front of the engine up and THEN do a pressure test. That way you get rid of all the old drips and you can get a better idea of where it's originating from. When the engine is running, the fan can kind of blow the coolant around a make it hard to find the source of the leak.
Good luck, I hope it's not going to be too hard of a fix.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Winching

Thanks for the suggestion. I grabbed a bottle of engine degreaser today and sprayed it down. It cleaned things up alot but I did not see the green coolant in the first pics after a 20minute pressure test. I pumped it up to 16psi and over 20 minutes it only dropped maybe half a psi. It was still above 15psi at the end of the test.

So I cranked it up to let it get to temperature and looked underneath again. Still no coolant. However I did see my dripping oil leak. So I've changed the title of this question to focus on the oil leak. It appears to be coming directly from the center bottom pulley device (whatever that is). If its above it I couldn't tell, nothing is dripping down from the top.

There also appears to be a separate leak that looks like it runs down some split loom on the side of the oil pan and then drips to the side of the oil pan.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak Identification-img_2896.jpg   Coolant Leak Identification-img_2901.jpg   Coolant Leak Identification-img_2897.jpg  
Old 07-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like seal is leaking from picture.
But you can probebly see better than us looking at picture only.
Spray degreaser between pully and front engine cover & clean a little more, then you can tell for sure, ( but it does look like the seal)

Old 07-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

If it dropped preasure no matter how little it has a leak

Old 07-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
If it dropped preasure no matter how little it has a leak
I understand that, I'm having to top off coolant periodically. I just can't seem to find an external leak easily.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like coolant and oil.
mostly oil.

You need a can of GUNK degreaser.

And a trip to the pressure wand car wash..

Get it about this clean..
Then look for the leaks again

Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
Looks like seal is leaking from picture.
But you can probebly see better than us looking at picture only.
Spray degreaser between pully and front engine cover & clean a little more, then you can tell for sure, ( but it does look like the seal)
What seal are you referring to?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

The front main seal behind pully, that pully is connected to crankshaft, & there is a seal in front engine cover preventing oil from spilling out, When engine off it will not leak, But when engine running, there is lot of oil behind seal, and the chain that turns the camshaft spinning creates lots of oil in that area.
In First pic that you posted after cleaning engine, I can see splatter's of oil on your cleaned oil filter , that's due to oil coming out and catching spinning pully & flying toward oil filter.

If you clean engine cover behind pully a lot more so there is no baked on oil left, should see oil coming out of seal , while engine running.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Winching

Is there anything I should avoid spraying degreaser on? I tried to get everything but I was a little cautious around the belts. Should I take the fan shroud off and spray down?

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Identification