Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak Identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:36 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Nah. Spray the crap out of it.
Never hurt my rover.
Just dont' get water into the V.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Aye Aye Aye.

More degreaser and water hose. This time I did not see the same leak coming from the area of the front seal, but only along the driver's side of the oil pan. It looks runny, possibly coolant washing baked on oil away.

I think I've tracked the "wet" area up to the lower pulley area on the driver's side. The braided hose coming off the bottom of the PAS pump (if I'm looking at that right) did have coolant dripping down it, but I didn't think it had coolant in that area?

More thoughts or suggestions where to look next?

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak Identification-img_2935.jpg   Coolant Leak Identification-img_2938.jpg   Coolant Leak Identification-img_2939.jpg  

Last edited by robert.juric; 07-14-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I suggest you put some uv dye in the pas fluid and coolant.......make an easy task of finding the source

btw..i had a power steering leak in that same spot, the uturn in the return line

Old 07-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Winching

I'll order some dye and throw it in there next. I thought I've noticed PS fluid drops under there before.

The only source of coolant in that area would possibly be the front of head?

I'm enjoying the learning process though.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

or rolling over from throttle body heater, or sourcing over from water pump (gasket, seal, or weep hole) did you stick a qtip or something in the weep hole to cross that off?

Old 07-15-2015, 01:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaks

Throttle body could produce a small leak on bottom side that could leak down before its noticed. I had a leak on my my water pump gasket that leaked down almost exactly where your picture shows. Also might get you that mirror with telescoping lens so you can look down into spots hard to see.
Originally Posted by dusty1
or rolling over from throttle body heater, or sourcing over from water pump (gasket, seal, or weep hole) did you stick a qtip or something in the weep hole to cross that off?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Winching

I've already bypassed my throttle body heater. Everything on the top side (looking down) appears to be dry. I can only find wetness (coolant or oil) when I get underneath it.

The passenger side of the block near the water pump doesn't appear as bad as this side, but I'm ordering UV dye today. I plan on also buying some glowsticks and playing techno music while I look for the leak.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:45 PM
Winching

So I put the UV dye in it tonight and ran it for a bit before taking another look. It's still hard to tell, which I guess is a good thing since its a small leak. All the previous oil leaks have coolant in their drips (but no coolant is present when changing the oil). The front of the block below the drivers side head had slight UV coloring, but no standout drips.

I finally found the drip, but couldn't find it's exact source. It was running down the very front edge of the block on the drivers side from about the point of the exhaust manifold. I just couldn't see any higher and there is nothing at all when looking from the top down. Is it logical to assume this is the head gasket since the drip is on the far outside of the block?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

From what you are describing, my guess would be timing cover to block, right around the area where the water pump bolts to the timing cover.

The following users liked this post:
robert.juric (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Winching

I got back in there today in the daylight and I definitely found coolant on the driver side bolts of the water pump. I think I'm going to start there.

So my question now is should I replace the water pump or just the gasket? Genuine or "ProLine"?

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Identification