Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 05:02 PM
JPM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system issue

My 2004 Discovery 2 has been leaking coolant out of the reservoir through the overflow breather hose while the engine is running. I ran it for 15 minutes and took the temperature of the radiator with IR thermometer (top 139 degrees, bottom portion 74 degrees).Some steam was venting through the reservoir cap (that I just replaced last weekend).

From what I have read, I am looking at a new radiator based on the temp readings. I also plan on replacing the thermostat with the genuine soft spring low temp t stat from Lucky 8 and another new cap for the reservoir.

The hoses appear to be in good shape, I will further inspect when I drain the fluid. I will be changing radiator fluid to Preston Green as well.

I ordered an Ultra Gauge, waiting for it to be delivered. I don't of any real numbers as far as running temps. Do I seem to be on the right track? Please let me know if I am overlooking something.

Thank you,

JPM

Old 10-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Empty the cooling system.
rent a camera, scope and run it to the bottom.
IF it has a clog from dexcool then you have your issue. If there ISNT a clog it's something else.

Use some super flush and flush the system.

It "may" be you dont have great flow and the fans are cooling what coolant you have going in. You could be low, air bubble etc with the pressure or fluid pushing something out the breather.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:27 PM
JPM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Empty the cooling system.
rent a camera, scope and run it to the bottom.
IF it has a clog from dexcool then you have your issue. If there ISNT a clog it's something else.

Use some super flush and flush the system.

It "may" be you dont have great flow and the fans are cooling what coolant you have going in. You could be low, air bubble etc with the pressure or fluid pushing something out the breather.
shanechevelle- Thank you for the re[ply. I will rent a camera in the morning and take a look.

Appreciate your time!

Old 10-02-2020, 12:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Do a combustion gas test, a serious clog can cause that but so can a leaking head gasket. Just be aware you may get a negative and still have a gasket issue , I did and my temps were perfect.