Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Cracked block @ waterpump (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/cracked-block-%40-waterpump-22285/)

jycsalas 05-27-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 118828)
What? $1,265.04?

I believe that is the page# / section# in the rave manual he is referrencing

unstable 05-28-2009 08:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
yeah that was the section of the rave manual that covers the front cover / timing gear cover. I can't remember what picture I posted last night but I went out this morning to look at it again and while it looks like someone welded the front cover, it also looks like there is weld on the block itself.

I guess I won't know the full extent until I get the front cover off but right now it's not looking as promising as I had thought last night. It's an ugly weld job that looks like someone did it while the motor was still together. Maybe the front cover gasket was leaking and the front cover had a crack in it and they just tried to weld it all up...the block could be fine...however; it does look like the block is a little jacked up in this region too...picture doesn't cover it though.

You can see in the attached picture there is a big weld bead coming off of the timing cover and then there is some weld action on the block itself. FU#$!!!!

okdiscoguy 05-28-2009 10:02 AM

You will want to get a ton of PB blaster and a MAP gas torch. I just replaced my gasket, and found a broken bolt that someone else had just RTV'ed back in, and then I broke 2 more getting the rest out. I was able to get some vise grips on the nubs left in the block, so no drilling, but I am telling you, go slow, and if it feels funny, it is going to snap.

I can't really tell from your pics, but I am pretty sure you are on the drivers side water port. If it was cracked and welded, it would leak coolant pretty good. I would suggest a good used front cover from roverland. may want to think about the water pump and fan clutch (along with hoses) while you have everything out. It is a pretty good job to do, took me 6 hours, never having done one...

unstable 05-28-2009 10:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
okdiscoguy-
your post is much appreciated...good guess, it is the drivers side 11MM bolt hole that it's leaking from (see attached).

I wonder W-T-F the deal is with the weld? That's what has me worried more than anything else...If you look at my pictures, someone globbed a nice chunk of weld on the front cover and there also appears to be weld on the block around the bolt hole. WHY? WHY? WHY?

If it's a gasket, replace it. If the front cover is cracked, replace it. If it's the block...hmmm, well if you're an A'hole, you might just try to weld it and sell it to some idiot (i.e. me and my wife).

edit-->Called BritishParts.com looking for a block, just in case...I'm at work obsessing about this problem and I can't do anything now but price out parts. Spoke with one of the reps and I emailed him the pictures...he wrote back "MAN that is nuts! I can't imagine what they were thinking here."

okdiscoguy 05-28-2009 10:15 AM

They may have tried tapping it with a hammer to get it loose. That bolt was the worst one for me. It was like it was welded in there. It was a super long bolt and there was a ton of gunk in there. It was even a little tricky getting back in. I tapped lightly, but I can see where someone could get impatient and break it. Then figured they would weld it rather than spens $400 on a used one.

Either way, if they knew, they should have disclosed it. Hopefully, a mechanic did it, and didn't want to own up to his mistake, and the PO never knew...

unstable 05-28-2009 10:25 AM

The guy at BritishParts writes:

Good pic. I'm still a little confused as to how that may have happened. That is just not a problem area! In fact I can't recall ever having seen a block damaged on the front face...EXCEPT...I saw one that froze from lack of the proper antifreeze mix, and split just below the deck surface where cylinder head meets block.

@OKDISCOGUY

You might be right about a mechanic doing it...it's a pretty ugly weld though which leads me to believe that it was done while ON the vehicle, almost like someone seen it leaking and just did their best to slow it down.

Do you know if that bolt touches a water jacket?

I don't know enough about this motor to be able to tell whether a freezing issue would crack the block there or if it would be more likely to cause damage to that front cover.