Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Agree with Richard.

Being a mechanic by trade, I'm always a bit hesitant to second guess other mechanic's decisions...since they are hands-on with their information...and l'm getting my info on the net. But, in this case...this repair has had certain earmarks of causes (valley pan, front cover, head gasket or cracked block) and should have been diagnosed easily.

With that being said...let's move forward...now that they have found causes.

I'd do the front cover, valley pan gasket, reassemble. I'd not suspect any damage from some coolant being mixed with the oil, especially, when one considers the length of time. And, it's not like a ton of coolant was lost internally.

Hopefully, they come back with a reasonable repair estimate.

​​​​​​​ Brian.
Thanks Brian. I've got a call into another place to get a quote on front cover, intake manifold gasket and tune up. I'll compare the two and report back with my findings lol...

Old 09-06-2018, 12:37 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Answer to above, yes my front cover and oil pump gears were fine and not included in that cost.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Pulling the engine's top and front completely apart and reassembling is a risky option, and the shop knows it. Who wouldn't rather drop in a new engine? To be honest, I did my own HG's because I thought I would do a better job, and aside from bad valve seals and a lesson learned, she is in much better shape for me spending my time under the hood. They are going to run into bad boltholes, and then reuse bolts that have been under there for over a decade. I have to add that I would highly recommend either new remanned heads from ABran or have the valve seals done when the heads is cleaned/decked. That burned me big time! The heads passed the vacuum test, but were leaking.

If you are committed to the truck you could park her in the garage, take the top end apart, clean and recondition the intake manifolds, then collect new injectors, sensors, plugs wires over the winter, and find a shop to drop in the upgraded 4.0 Turner. Use new bolts for the entire front and top. If you have the engine ready for removal, and the top end ready to go, that will save you time in labor for the reinstall. Use Fel Pro for the valley, intake and rocker covers. Renew the cooling system as well.

As I mentioned previously though, do what is going to make you excited to turn the key. If that means getting the top and front rebuilt, and having Bertha back for winter, then do that. If the idea of a better than new engine that will outlast and outperform the first one puts a big grin on your face, do that. Afterall, you're investing in an experience here, and paying the least amount isn't necessarily the right decision, but neither is paying the most.

Also, how far away is Best4x4? his mods/advice has done me a lot of good. he's be a great choice for either route.

Last edited by CollieRover; 09-06-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Answer to above, yes my front cover and oil pump gears were fine and not included in that cost.
I guess if my front cover and oil pump gears were ok then I may be tempted to just have the gasket replaced and if/when the pump ever failed go with the new engine then. It's a crap shoot really with the age of my vehicle and all. That's a good price for what you had done, in my mind for labor and parts.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Pulling the engine's top and front completely apart and reassembling is a risky option, and the shop knows it. Who wouldn't rather drop in a new engine? To be honest, I did my own HG's because I thought I would do a better job, and aside from bad valve seals and a lesson learned, she is in much better shape for me spending my time under the hood. They are going to run into bad boltholes, and then reuse bolts that have been under there for over a decade. I have to add that I would highly recommend either new remanned heads from ABran or have the valve seals done when the heads is cleaned/decked. That burned me big time! The heads passed the vacuum test, but were leaking.

If you are committed to the truck you could park her in the garage, take the top end apart, clean and recondition the intake manifolds, then collect new injectors, sensors, plugs wires over the winter, and find a shop to drop in the upgraded 4.0 Turner. Use new bolts for the entire front and top. If you have the engine ready for removal, and the top end ready to go, that will save you time in labor for the reinstall. Use Fel Pro for the valley, intake and rocker covers. Renew the cooling system as well.

As I mentioned previously though, do what is going to make you excited to turn the key. If that means getting the top and front rebuilt, and having Bertha back for winter, then do that. If the idea of a better than new engine that will outlast and outperform the first one puts a big grin on your face, do that. Afterall, you're investing in an experience here, and paying the least amount isn't necessarily the right decision, but neither is paying the most.

Also, how far away is Best4x4? his mods/advice has done me a lot of good. he's be a great choice for either route.
Thanks CollieRover. A lot to think about and you're right. What will put the big grin on my face? No leaks and reliability would do it for sure... that coupled with driving it home and parking it so my neighbor has a great view haha... (gotta love Gladys Kravitz).

Guess I have some things to think about. Haven't heard back from either shop regarding price but I'm certain that will be the deciding factor. All of your points are helpful and I know that you've been down this road before.

'Afterall, you're investing in an experience here'

I keep telling myself that. I'm a fairly straight forward person and I think this entire summer experience with 2 shops has had me wanting to pull all of my hair out. As it occurred, I can honestly say that if it weren't for you guys on the forum helping me out and giving me ideas, I wouldn't be as far along as I am today with Bertha. I can see why so many people work on their own vehicles. It's a learning experience, you get to know your vehicle inside and out, you know when someone is giving you a line and it's nice to be able to have the knowledge of how your Rover operates. Now if I could just get over the fear of cutting off a finger or blowing myself up

Best 4x4 is in Texas, I believe. I live in Michigan so not really feasible in person.

Thanks again,

Christina

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 09-06-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Called a third place as I still haven't heard from the first two.

$620 for the front cover gasket alone
$900 (give or take) for the valley pan gasket replacement.

So $1500 without oil pump replacement or a bit more with. They are working at about a week out. If that was the case I could have Bertha back on the road soon!

At this point I'll take her whiney steering pump *** anyway I can get her haha.. I just want her back!

Old 09-06-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Called a third place as I still haven't heard from the first two.

$620 for the front cover gasket alone
$900 (give or take) for the valley pan gasket replacement.

So $1500 without oil pump replacement or a bit more with. They are working at about a week out. If that was the case I could have Bertha back on the road soon!

At this point I'll take her whiney steering pump *** anyway I can get her haha.. I just want her back!
1500 is a long long way from 10 k for a new motor, and that is likely worth the risk. I'd still do all new ignition, coilpack, wires, plugs, as long as the upper intake is off. I'd also get have them use fel pro gaskets, and new lower intake manifold bolts, and injectors(59 dollars). Also, do the new oil pump.

If they can have them inspect the Cams, Crank, and scope the inside of the head/top of the valves to make sure the valve seals are good.

All this assumes, of course, that the head gaskets are completely ruled out. Because it is a total drag doing it twice, believe me.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

1500 is a long long way from 10 k for a new motor, and that is likely worth the risk. I'd still do all new ignition, coilpack, wires, plugs, as long as the upper intake is off. I'd also get have them use fel pro gaskets, and new lower intake manifold bolts, and injectors(59 dollars). Also, do the new oil pump.

If they can have them inspect the Cams, Crank, and scope the inside of the head/top of the valves to make sure the valve seals are good.

All this assumes, of course, that the head gaskets are completely ruled out. Because it is a total drag doing it twice, believe me.
Well so far I haven't heard back from the first 2 shops on pricing so I'm assuming they'd rather not be bothered. It has been a long haul just trying to get Bertha diagnosed so I don't think it would behoove me to go further with any inquiries at either place. A shame really on the first shop because I felt like we had developed a rapport. Cest la vie.
Live and learn.

Thanks CollieRover for the tips. Hopefully the gaskets and tune up, plus looksee, will get Bertha back on the road in due time and she can have a happy winter dancing thru the snow.

Cheers

Christina

Old 09-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Well so far I haven't heard back from the first 2 shops on pricing so I'm assuming they'd rather not be bothered. It has been a long haul just trying to get Bertha diagnosed so I don't think it would behoove me to go further with any inquiries at either place. A shame really on the first shop because I felt like we had developed a rapport. Cest la vie.
Live and learn.

Thanks CollieRover for the tips. Hopefully the gaskets and tune up, plus looksee, will get Bertha back on the road in due time and she can have a happy winter dancing thru the snow.

Cheers

Christina
Just be very very sure you don’t want to throw on Cometic Head gaskets, because just getting to them is a lot of labor, and you can kill two birds with one stone. Heck, throw on new rebuilt Heads from Abran and avoid any risk of leaky seals or shop costs.

If if you can swing it, I would do them, but I am neurotic about my Rover.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Just be very very sure you don’t want to throw on Cometic Head gaskets, because just getting to them is a lot of labor, and you can kill two birds with one stone. Heck, throw on new rebuilt Heads from Abran and avoid any risk of leaky seals or shop costs.

If if you can swing it, I would do them, but I am neurotic about my Rover.
So I am not the only one

Quick Reply: Cracked Block?