Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Mine, if the turn signal bulb burns out...it's a goner...lol.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Mine, if the turn signal bulb burns out...it's a goner...lol.
Oh! Oh! I know that one!! (raising hand and waving like crazy) Call me if you need it fixed because that's something I know how to do!

.... the straw that broke the camel's back lol..

Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery

.... the straw that broke the camel's back lol..
Oh, this would be the first issue (if turn signal bulb burned out)...since getting it moving a few years ago (installing trans). Really haven't had any issues, besides what I break while wheeling, but that doesn't count...since that's self inflicted. I'm just not going to tolerate any breakage, of any kind, of anything...lol. Watch what goes on here, folks put up with this and that breaking...me...one issue and you're out of here. She knows this...so she runs and drives without issue. Some folks are just enablers...lol.

Brian.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Oh, this would be the first issue (if turn signal bulb burned out)...since getting it moving a few years ago (installing trans). Really haven't had any issues, besides what I break while wheeling, but that doesn't count...since that's self inflicted. I'm just not going to tolerate any breakage, of any kind, of anything...lol. Watch what goes on here, folks put up with this and that breaking...me...one issue and you're out of here. She knows this...so she runs and drives without issue. Some folks are just enablers...lol.

Brian.
haha.. do you tell her that? 'Listen truck...one peep out of you and you're history'

So called the shop today (the only shop in town that is willing to tackle Bertha and her front cover/oil pump issue) and it looks like it will be October before I have her back. I guess they're working 2 1/2 weeks out right now and I got that answer with a chuckle. I'm hoping I have her back in time for the color season which is another month out.

I asked about the front cover and was told that it could have pitting, etc. so it's best to replace it.

So there you have it folks. I'll leave you with this video from Atlantic British. All about the front cover and coolant leaks:

I'll update this when I get her back. Hoping it's not too long Thanks again for ALL of your help and for cheering me along!

Christina

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 09-13-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I have no experience with front covers, and pitting from a leak seems a reasonable concern, considering they have to stand behind the work and time put in.

Seems like once assembled to the point of a complete cooling system they could pressure test, and make sure the intake gasket is sound, maybe also a compression test to test the HG before start up.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:47 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

All the best hope it all works out and you are back on the rod soon!

Old 09-15-2018, 03:53 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I hate to be a harpie, but why do they keep insisting on replacing the front cover before they even see it? I guess its a liability thing? Or just a worst case scenario...

I could see if if you have a broken oil pump and the front cover looks scored however if your oil pump is not broken then chances are 98% that your front cover is still good and you just need it sealed up.

This needs to be approached logically, If/Then... IF its broke THEN fix it. If it's not broke then don't sell me a new one.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I hate to be a harpie, but why do they keep insisting on replacing the front cover before they even see it? I guess its a liability thing? Or just a worst case scenario...

I could see if if you have a broken oil pump and the front cover looks scored however if your oil pump is not broken then chances are 98% that your front cover is still good and you just need it sealed up.

This needs to be approached logically, If/Then... IF its broke THEN fix it. If it's not broke then don't sell me a new one.
Believe me, I agree with you 100% but am caught between a rock and a hard place. I had one shop say that they wouldn't touch my vehicle with a ten foot pole and it should be scrapped asap. I had another tell me that they would be happy to work on top end stuff but they don't know if they want to tackle the bottom end because of the possibility of special tools and/or tying up their lift for a week if needed. This is the ONLY place in town that I've found willing to take it on and they said to me 'this is the way we do it - all or nothing' when I suggested that they look at the front cover prior to replacing it. So in order NOT to start an argument with the only place in town willing to work with me...I'm going to eat the $400. At this point I am fed up and just want my Rover back. I'll tackle the other issues as they come - get the top end shaped up along with tune-up, switch out the thermostat and cooling system and hope for the best. I'm hoping to god my bearings are still ok. To me the Rover sounds fine. After 4 months of sitting around though... it's anyone's guess. I remember the last time I left her sitting for a year - it wasn't pretty. Talk about stiff joints.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

any updates?

Quick Reply: Cracked Block?