Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm happy to report that Bertha the Beast is back on the blacktop as I picked her up this morning. It was a trying Monday morning as she was quite stubborn at first (tight steering), a bit on the cold side and didn't want to start but we're buds again. I stopped at an express lube place after picking her up and she promptly died on me and I wasn't feeling the love. I've got her running in the parking lot at work right now trying to get the battery charged up. It was odd to get back into the seat again after five months! Glad to have her back

Thanks everyone for your expertise and help!

Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Great news! Drive over to an auto parts store and have them test the battery, and alternator. Might as well.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

So it did turn out to be the front cover gasket that failed? Details please!!
Oh, and Congratulations!

Old 11-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Great news !

Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks guys! CollieRover, I'll get the battery checked and also the alternator. Bought the battery a year ago but you never know. I suspect it just sat too long and was weak as I let it run for an hour today at work and it starts up fine now.

Dave, yes - it was the entire front cover mechanism that they replaced. I know that we had hoped that maybe they'd just replace the oil pump and gasket, etc. but they told me that 'they don't do that' and would only replace the entire mechanism so that's what I did. It wasn't cheap. $1700 for the entire ordeal - pressure tests, (diagnosis ha), new front cover, etc. I still have doubts over that place but at least they got it done. I say 'doubts' because of all that went into diagnosing as well as they told me that I wouldn't have any heat this winter because the viscous clutch is constantly running and Bertha was quite hot this morning (heater is running fine). They also said that my brakes are good and I would hazard a guess that I need them done (brake light is on but could be due to sticking caliper in the rear). That is next on my list.

Thanks Richard It was nice to drive her to work today. She has quite a bit of condensation in the inside windows but hopefully that is just from sitting so long and probably some leaking from rainfall. The headliner is dry but she has a leak which needs to be looked into. I'm glad to have her back.

Funny side story. My buddy called me Friday night and told me that the Habitat Restore in town had a beautiful old, mahogany barrister's bookcase for sale with wavy glass. Saturday morning I swung over there to check it out and the parking lot was so full I had to park around the side of the building, right next to a Land Rover Discovery - same color and year as mine. I then noticed the hood was up. As I hopped out of the Jeep, the owner of the Discovery came walking out of a nearby office and peered into the engine bay. I said 'what seems to be the issue?' to which he replied 'it's overheating'. I groaned and said 'shoot.. sorry to hear it. I have the same vehicle - they're prone to overheating.' Turns out he bought the Rover six months ago (for an 'unbelievable price' which he did not disclose) and said that 'practically nothing works on it'.

So I asked him what happened, and he said he was driving down the road and lost all heat, steam started coming up from underneath the hood and the coolant isn't circulating. Then he pointed at the little square thing near the driver's side and said 'I don't know what that is called but someone told me that could be the problem'. I looked. 'That's your throttle body heater and the gaskets can go and from the look of the coolant all over it I'd say that probably is your issue'. He told me that there was a stream of coolant coming from it when he opened up the hood haha. I had to laugh because it all sounded SO familiar and I knew how he felt. He asked all sorts of questions, wondered if it was his water pump, what did I think of stop leak stuff, do the head gaskets go on these vehicles?.. yada yada yada. I felt like a walking encyclopedia, told him what I knew and said that his best bet was to start with the throttle body and go from there. He had green coolant so I figured that the previous owner knew something.

He closed up the hood, thanked me for my insight and when I walked away, I thought to mention the drive shaft to him... turned around and he was gone. I wrote a note on a piece of paper while in the Restore and thought I'd put it under his wiper blade but when I came back out the Discovery was gone as well.

Funny how stuff like that happens. I liked being on the other end helping someone else out and I have you guys to thank for it.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 11-19-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:50 PM

I can help with the leaks other than sunroof - I bought mine last Sept just as the rainy season started to find out it had a couple of front side leaks.
Pop a little ceramic heater in side and crack the windows a hair and let run on high for a couple of hours that should help dry things out.

For leaks start with the attachment - had pine needles under there on mine Standard clear silicone underneath - you can sort of go to town, and as a thin bead on top works just fine. If it is cold where you are hot water on rag and let sit for a few minutes will make easier to work with them

If those are solid pull up your floor mats and check the carpet for dampness. If you still can not id it put newspaper, a single sheet front and back on the carpet. Then soak the roof and windshield for about 5 to 10 minutes. You should with luck see damp newpaper which will help ID the leak location.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.7 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 11-19-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Richard! I'll try that this weekend after I get the garage cleaned out. Old man winter is upon us here and I'm hoping for a few mild days over the holiday weekend to get my ducks in a row. Heater sounds like a plan as well as seal the hell out of it lol. I suspect it's the windshield rather than the floor as, after more inspection this afternoon, the headliner is damp on the passenger side next to the front pillar. I'll try the papers too though just in case.

Next on my list is to figure out why I have a temperature sensor lighting up on the dash... always something I'm thinking it's due to my transfer case which needs resealing.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 11-19-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Been a long road, with plenty of obstacles...but you prevailed.

I'd put a battery charger on it over night, on lowest setting (2 amp). Sometimes a nice slow charge will rekindle a battery that has been left low for to long.

​​​​​​​Glad the girl is finally home.

Brian.

KernowDiscovery (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 05:56 PM

LOL - temperature light mine has just started that now that it is cold and damp, flicks on for a second then off. Always well below normal temps, need to dig around and check grounds and connectors

KernowDiscovery (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Been a long road, with plenty of obstacles...but you prevailed.

I'd put a battery charger on it over night, on lowest setting (2 amp). Sometimes a nice slow charge will rekindle a battery that has been left low for to long.

​​​​​​​Glad the girl is finally home.

Brian.
Thanks Brian Believe it or not my parents gave me a battery charger for my birthday this past summer. I laughed so hard and was excited to put it in the back of the Rover but never got the chance seeing as Bertha broke down on me that day. It's still in the box so I'll get it out and do just that...this weekend. I'm glad she's home too - thanks again for all of your help!