Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crankshaft Wobble

This is for a 2003 D2

So replaced water pump, oil pump, timing chain and cogs, and crankshaft seal 10k miles ago. Noticed I had some oil leaking from the crankshaft seal and my pulley was wobbling.

So I tried tightening, would not tighten anymore.

Replaced the pulley with a used one that "looked" like it was in better condition, wobbles even more.

​​
So I'm wondering if my crankshaft bearing are bad. I'm really at a loss here. I do have a rough idle as well, and shaking goes away when I rev it up

Old 01-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

One thing to consider is that the pulley, crankshaft, and flywheel are all externally balanced together with the pistons, conn rods, etc. If you replace a component, the engine should really be re-balanced. However, if you notice on the harmonic balancer there is a weight crimped onto it... could be 5g, 10g, or whatever. Make sure to put the weight onto the new pulley in exactly the same position.

Also check the rubber damper on the pulley to make sure it isn't cracked, warped, or damaged.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
One thing to consider is that the pulley, crankshaft, and flywheel are all externally balanced together with the pistons, conn rods, etc. If you replace a component, the engine should really be re-balanced. However, if you notice on the harmonic balancer there is a weight crimped onto it... could be 5g, 10g, or whatever. Make sure to put the weight onto the new pulley in exactly the same position.

Also check the rubber damper on the pulley to make sure it isn't cracked, warped, or damaged.
I didn't know they were all balanced together? How would you go about balancing the engine?

Could it be my crank bearings that are failing?

Old 01-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Check what I mentioned above first?

A professional would balance the engine. Shouldn't be necessary here though.

Doubtful its the bearings

Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

If done correctly, each item is balanced separately that way if one fails/replaced all the items do not need to be re balanced.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

If the bearings were worn to the point that the crank could wobble, your oil light would be on pretty much all the time. Engine would sound like hell too.

How much wobble are you seeing? Did you verify that everything was running smooth and true right after the work 10K ago?

Old 01-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Baja

^ agreed

Old 01-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
If done correctly, each item is balanced separately that way if one fails/replaced all the items do not need to be re balanced.
That's what I was thinking. Would be odd if an entire assembly was balanced together. But if I'm still getting wobble and a rough idle, would you consider bearings?

I have checked everything else. Sensors, air leaks, oil, everything is good except for my idle and my harmonic balancer wobble

Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Red5
If the bearings were worn to the point that the crank could wobble, your oil light would be on pretty much all the time. Engine would sound like hell too.

How much wobble are you seeing? Did you verify that everything was running smooth and true right after the work 10K ago?
It was my first head gasket job, but followed it to the book (manual). So it could have been something I F***** up along the way. Just not sure what it could be

Old 01-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Baja

Just for sheets and giggles, take off belt and run for e few minutes. Does crank pulley still wobble?

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Wobble