Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh no! no offence taken! I understand. I was just trying to make light of the situation. lol

Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Quick question, was your old crank pulley/harmonic balancer, worn on the surface that rides on the seal? If so that could be giving you the wobble. Attached is a link from the forum with a guy that had the same problem and fixed it with a speedy sleeve. Might be something to look into.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...l-again-79100/

Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Quick question, was your old crank pulley/harmonic balancer, worn on the surface that rides on the seal? If so that could be giving you the wobble. Attached is a link from the forum with a guy that had the same problem and fixed it with a speedy sleeve. Might be something to look into.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...l-again-79100/
Seems like the link is broken! Would love to see this fix!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Hell it worked for me but here is the part numbers the guy used. It's a sleeved that presses on the back to give it a larger diameter so it seals better in case some has been eaten away.

The Speedi Sleeve from SKF is #99192. And get a CORTECO Main Seal, # ERR6490G.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Below is the conver from that post

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Mark I haven't had a grooved surface but I did look into speedi sleeves when I had a persistent leak. Before I settled on which one to get, though, I found that my crank pulley was vibrating. I was just standing next to the truck while it idled with the fan off and noticed it. I found a tiny bit of the damper rubber had pressed out, but it was inducing a huge wobble. I had a spare so I swapped them and it fixed the leak.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/front-main-seal-again-79100/

NOT saying that's your problem but it is free to check.

Here's what mine looked like.

Okay I can't find the photo. But the rubber was only slightly pressed out on the back.
Originally Posted by OverRover
The Speedi Sleeve from SKF is #99192. And get a CORTECO Main Seal, # ERR6490G.

Middle of the page > RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories
Originally Posted by mark d
It went back together yesterday without too much pain. New push rods, new lifters, used rocker assembly and it still ticks. I am starting to think my oil pressure is dropping down at idle. May be time to look at a top hat.
Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Please do. I've got rockers aplenty. The ticking is maddening. Like a countdown on a bomb.
A year ago I replaced the front seal. The harmonic balancer had small grooves warn by the old seal. I put the balancer in my lathe and polished the mating surface, replaced the seal and put it back together. The leak is back and I pulled it apart yesterday. There are sleeves made that slip over the old seal surface and provide a new polished stainless steel surface for the new seal to ride on. Speedi Sleeve is one made by SKF. I am doing the research now to find the correct one. If anyone has fought this battle and can help with advice, please let me know. I will post what I find to help others with the same issue. Thanks.
Thanks Over Rover, that is the same SKF part number and came up with. My local industrial house had it in stock. I installed the new seal (FelPro from NAPA) and pressed the Speedi Sleeve on with my press. Charlie V, I share your ticking frustration. I am installing a spare rocker assembly now. This is after new lifters and push rods. Yes, it is embarrassing. I will let you know what happen

Old 01-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Pro Wrench

If all else fails, search "front main seal again" and hopefully it will pop up the proper one

Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

Quick Update

Removed the "new to me" balancer and matched the weight from my old balancer to match. Put the "new to me" balancer with the matched weight in the same position as my old balancer, back onto my truck.

The shake is still there.

I have not tried the sleeve method, might be my next go. But this problem is becoming MADDENING

Old 01-15-2017, 01:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Each pully is already balanced , that's why it has that little extra weight attached to it, you shouldn't/can't replace the weight with another & expect to rebalance it, you will mess up balance,!
It's like having all wheels/tire assembly on a car balanced, then when putting spare tire lets say in front right, taking balance weight from replaced front tire & putting on spare tire,!
Can't do it, can you,?
It's the same thing with that pully.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

I guess my first question would be...how did you remove the original balancer 10K ago, when you did the seal and other work? Did you use a puller...or pry on the outer edge of the harmonic balancer? There are two threaded holes in the balancer for pulling it off, if you used those...you shouldn't have damaged the balancer...if you didn't and pryed against the outer edge, moving it from side to side...good chance you did. Same goes for whomever (junkyard worker) took the "new to you" balancer off...maybe they used method number two...prybar.

Also, how did you install the balancer...after your initial repair? Did you pound it on with a hammer, hitting the outer edge...if so...you could have damaged the balancer. You must never contact the outer edge with a pry bar, hammer, etc, etc. You must tap the inner portion, moving in a circular motion, around the crank shaft to install. Yes, they are a snug fit...but it should never take a large amount of force...unless something is wrong...like it is started on crooked or cocked. And that would mean starting over, removing, cleaning up crank shaft surface and using some lube to get it started again.

The Speedi sleeve will have no bearing on whether the balancer wobbles or not, it's installed on the inner portion of the balancer that rides on the seal surface. Yes, it could help stop a leak...but it will not eliminate the wobble.

Me, I'd install the original balancer, set up a dail indicator and spin the engine over by hand, slowly...and see where the wobble is in relationship to the key way location (mark key way location with a piece of chalk on outer edge). Then install the "new to you" balancer and do the same. If the wobble is moving in or out at the same spot, in relationship to the key way, then I would assume the crank has been buggered up somehow...but...if the wobble is in different locations...then I would assume the balancers are both damaged.

Good luck,

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 01-15-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Im going to take a wild guess here.....I am thinking this is a perfect example of after you put something back together, you then notice something (like your pulley not rotating perfectly) BUT, the truth to the matter is, it was probably doing a slight wobble before you tore down the front of the motor...You just never thought to look down closely at it....We just sometimes don't notice things like this until AFTER we get done wiping our greasy mitts all over everything. I've had this "type" of phenominum happen to me my entire mechanic life...Your harmonic balancer "slight wobble issue" is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Anyone else relate to what Im talking about?
Very common phenomenon in the mechanical world.

Let's say a driver comes in, complains about an oil leak in the front of the engine. I pull the vehicle in, put it on the lift/hoist, look underneath...while engine is off naturally...and clearly see the front seal is leaking.

So, I fix it.

Then, afterwards, while checking for leaks...engine is running of course...and I see a weird balancer wobble, belts not running true or some other unusual issue...and I immediately think...is that from something I did or didn't do? 99% of the time the vehicle had the issue to begin with and just went unnoticed prior to disassembly.

Been a mechanic for thirty some years. So, yes...I can relate...lol.

It's bad enough, trying to repair something that's gone bad...but trying to repair something that hasn't...can be as the OP puts it...MADDENING.

Plus, without seeing the balancers wobble in this case...it's hard to determine if there really is an issue. I've seen plenty with a slight wiggle to them. But, is a wiggle to me...a wobble to someone else? Is it to much or within tolerances? Sometimes, it can feel like you are chasing your own tail.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Wobble