Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I guess my first question would be...how did you remove the original balancer 10K ago, when you did the seal and other work? Did you use a puller...or pry on the outer edge of the harmonic balancer? There are two threaded holes in the balancer for pulling it off, if you used those...you shouldn't have damaged the balancer...if you didn't and pryed against the outer edge, moving it from side to side...good chance you did. Same goes for whomever (junkyard worker) took the "new to you" balancer off...maybe they used method number two...prybar.

Also, how did you install the balancer...after your initial repair? Did you pound it on with a hammer, hitting the outer edge...if so...you could have damaged the balancer. You must never contact the outer edge with a pry bar, hammer, etc, etc. You must tap the inner portion, moving in a circular motion, around the crank shaft to install. Yes, they are a snug fit...but it should never take a large amount of force...unless something is wrong...like it is started on crooked or cocked. And that would mean starting over, removing, cleaning up crank shaft surface and using some lube to get it started again.

The Speedi sleeve will have no bearing on whether the balancer wobbles or not, it's installed on the inner portion of the balancer that rides on the seal surface. Yes, it could help stop a leak...but it will not eliminate the wobble.

Me, I'd install the original balancer, set up a dail indicator and spin the engine over by hand, slowly...and see where the wobble is in relationship to the key way location (mark key way location with a piece of chalk on outer edge). Then install the "new to you" balancer and do the same. If the wobble is moving in or out at the same spot, in relationship to the key way, then I would assume the crank has been buggered up somehow...but...if the wobble is in different locations...then I would assume the balancers are both damaged.

Good luck,

Brian.
Hey Brian,

My balancers have always been easy to remove. Nothing more than slowly nudging it with both hands till it slides off.

I never have had to force the balancer back on either. Line it up with the woodruff key and slide it all the way on. Never hammered it in, and I've always known about the woodruff key.

What is the procedure your talking about with lining up the key to see if the balancer is bad?

Thanks,
Eric

Old 01-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Very common phenomenon in the mechanical world.

Let's say a driver comes in, complains about an oil leak in the front of the engine. I pull the vehicle in, put it on the lift/hoist, look underneath...while engine is off naturally...and clearly see the front seal is leaking.

So, I fix it.

Then, afterwards, while checking for leaks...engine is running of course...and I see a weird balancer wobble, belts not running true or some other unusual issue...and I immediately think...is that from something I did or didn't do? 99% of the time the vehicle had the issue to begin with and just went unnoticed prior to disassembly.

Been a mechanic for thirty some years. So, yes...I can relate...lol.

It's bad enough, trying to repair something that's gone bad...but trying to repair something that hasn't...can be as the OP puts it...MADDENING.

Plus, without seeing the balancers wobble in this case...it's hard to determine if there really is an issue. I've seen plenty with a slight wiggle to them. But, is a wiggle to me...a wobble to someone else? Is it to much or within tolerances? Sometimes, it can feel like you are chasing your own tail.

Brian.
Wobble is wobble. Your pulleys shouldn't woddle. Especially when the crank pulley is blowing seals cause the shake is so bad.

10k ago no wobble, seal is fine. Now crank seal is blown and wobble is there.

I understand your scepticism, but there shouldn't be shaking of the harmonic balancer at all, and if it's bad enough to blow out the crank seal, it's bad enough for me to worry

Old 01-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

I guess, if it came a part easily and things have only gotten worse with the new-used balancer...maybe you should remove the balancer and use a dial indicator to see what the "run-out" is on the crank.

Just seems weird, that you put the new-used balancer on...and it was worse (wobble)...but when you put the original balancer on...it was the same (slight wobble).

I would think, if the main bearings were bad enough to let the crank "wobble" that much...you'd hear a dull knocking noise. I have seen cases where the mains were worn to the point where you couldn't keep oil behind the seal...but ever case contained knocking noise and low oil pressure.

To bad you didn't know someone close by that had a test and true balancer you could borrow.

Good luck,

Brian.