Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   cross member bolt spinning, not undoing..any ideas? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/cross-member-bolt-spinning-not-undoing-any-ideas-54468/)

griffker 11-20-2012 09:57 PM

cross member bolt spinning, not undoing..any ideas?

I'm in the middle of replacing the timing cover gasket on my 02 disco and I've reached the point of removing the cross member underneath. 9 bolts came out but one of the rear ones on the driver side just spins and doesn't undo. The nut inside the bracket welded to the longitudinal just rotates with it. I assume it's supposed to be welded to that bracket. Access is too limited to get a wrench in there and I tried jamming a screw driver in there to stop it turning but no success. With the shape of the bracket it also looks very difficult to grind the bolt head off, especially lying on my back on the garage floor with the truck on blocks. Anybody else had this problem? I may have to put it all back together and take it to a workshop to get it removed. So much for getting the gasket replaced over the thanksgiving weekend.

ZGPhoto 11-20-2012 10:20 PM

Stripped.

Savannah Buzz 11-21-2012 12:40 AM

If you got the other 7 out, would you be able to pivot the part out of the way to continue repairs? Perhaps with some help from a hammer?

griffker 11-21-2012 05:38 AM

No, not stripped, the nut and bolt turn, just can't get at the nut. That's worth a try, see if I can pivot it round out of the way. It was late last night and I gave up trying my other options. It's difficult to see how those nuts are in there but I assume welded and if so, not very well.

coors 11-21-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by griffker (Post 358546)
No, not stripped, the nut and bolt turn, just can't get at the nut. That's worth a try, see if I can pivot it round out of the way. It was late last night and I gave up trying my other options. It's difficult to see how those nuts are in there but I assume welded and if so, not very well.

No. They're not welded. There is room to stick an open end wrench on the nut. If you're still having trouble get a large pry bar and put downward pressure on the cross member while undoing the bolt. You follow?

drowssap 11-21-2012 06:51 AM

I had the same problem, jack the truck body up and you will have room to drop the pan. jack the body not the frame I used an old bumper jack on the bull bar to raise the body. the oil pan needs to be twisted a little but it will come out.

griffker 11-21-2012 04:15 PM

I tried getting an open ended wrench in there, no chance, just not enough space. I'll try using a pry bar to pull down on the crossmember and see if that jams the nut against the plate enough for the bolt to undo.
Thanks for the tip drowssap on jacking the body up. Unfortunately I took the bull bar off 2 months ago when I was able to put my finger through it. It rusted from the inside out and was more of a danger than a safety thing.
this has totally screwed my plans as I don't want to be working on the truck on my daughters 2nd birthday on Saturday so I'll have to put the truck back together and tackle it at christmas when it will be freezing in my garage.
Thanks for the ideas

Savannah Buzz 11-21-2012 05:18 PM

Maybe a skinny (cheaper) wrench? Take yours to a couple of sales?

agthird 11-22-2012 08:59 AM

Cut the head off with a grinder and buy a new bolt problem solved, I had to drill out all of the nuts on the cross member due to rust and yes the bolts are factory spot select on the inside of the cross member frame....

909wheeler 11-22-2012 07:55 PM

Grinder or oxy/acetalyne