Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

curiosity question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 11:58 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

You can return anything you buy on eBay for a full refund plus the return shipping paid by the seller.

ebay is actually an excellent resource and the difference between a good experience and bad is:

- asking questions about the item to ensure it's what you want.

- checking the sellers feedback

- when all else fails file a claim via ebay.

Even if a seller says they do not accept returns, open up a case on eBay and wait for them to respond. If they don't in a timely manner Ebay will rule in your favor, create a return shipping label at their expense, and go into their PayPal account and take the money out for your refund.

it is in fact, more secure than buying from a business or retail seller.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Honestly a lot of reputable shops have eBay stores. Take for example Lucky 8llc, British parts of Utah, Atlantic British, and Miami rovers to name a few. Some people have bad experiences but as abran said, you have better security than having to dispute a charge with a credit card company. Heck I've had problems with amazon but most people order via various sources over the internet now, especially those of us that aren't close to a major independent store. It's all how you go about getting a product. I'm sure everybody has had at least one bad experience with Walmart but still shop there. That's just my opinion though.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:47 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
You can return anything you buy on eBay for a full refund plus the return shipping paid by the seller.

ebay is actually an excellent resource and the difference between a good experience and bad is:

- asking questions about the item to ensure it's what you want.

- checking the sellers feedback

- when all else fails file a claim via ebay.

Even if a seller says they do not accept returns, open up a case on eBay and wait for them to respond. If they don't in a timely manner Ebay will rule in your favor, create a return shipping label at their expense, and go into their PayPal account and take the money out for your refund.

it is in fact, more secure than buying from a business or retail seller.
X1 .................. you've just got to be careful and aware of what you are doing and buying. Checkout the provenance and check prices online first before buying new parts on Ebay, but as Abran states, if it all goes **** faced you can always raise a case in the resolution centre.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

By design, any proprietor with any semblance of an on line presence must have an Ebay store to stay relevant, but I guess with the descriptions from above, it seems like a lot of work to get someone to be honest. The system obviously works, and you guys are certainly accurate, but I guess it seems like a lot of smoke in mirrors.

For example, it is extremely common to see the exact same part sold for different prices from the same vendor. That just seems shifty to me and I'd prefer just to avoid all that nonsense from the get go and not have to use a middle man to sort out issues. But that's just me. Most certainly the business model works and is successful, but just not my deal.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought parts recently from ebay from 4x4/britparts and they have been fantastic and all parts as described but I have been caught out on ebay many years ago when buying parts so yes you're correct in making sure you check as much information as possible

Old 12-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With Rovers, having accounts on a variety of websites and utilizing local sources is key. I've bought parts and accessories from Atlantic British, Rovers North, Ebay, Amazon, local parts stores and salvage yards. I also bought 1 single part once from the dealership because I needed it asap. The dealer is the one source I would completely avoid at all costs, their prices are literally insane.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

It is mostly greed.
As a brake job to a RollsRoyce will be ten times of a Chevrolet. Same labor.

Compare these two :

The manufacturer is already making 100% profit :
----> https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...030222173.html

----> https://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part...0e&t=tay100050

Old 12-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Well, to continue down this road, always be mindful with dealers- or any mechanic for that matter- in terms of the hours of labor charged. Chilton (well known auto service manual publisher) time is very different than OEM time. Also, factory labor rates are different than indy rates. Do the math and it can get really ugly...

Old 06-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My 99D1 is approaching 181K. Shooting for that big 200! BTW, original engine, tranny, transfer case, and differentials.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ausdisco
Is it just me or do others think that parts for discos are way over priced?
I could understand if these vehicles were rare but I think they're far from rare.
Yep, way, way overpriced if you buy genuine LR OEM parts. Try Britpart, Allmakes or Bearmach parts as they are far less. D2 parts are becoming rarer now as they stopped manufacture in 2004 and they are only legally required to maintain spares supply for 10 years after cessation of manufacture but many continue far longer, make no mistake it's not 'cos they like you, it's because they have spare parts on their shelves they need to sell.

Quick Reply: curiosity question