Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Disco I - Electric Trailer Brake Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 Disco I - Electric Trailer Brake Installation

Good Morning:

What an informative site!!! I have found many interesting things here and many "seasoned" professionals offering priceless advice/suggestions...so here goes:

I have trailers with electric brakes that use the 7-pin RV style connectors. I recently purchased my 1998 DI and need to upfit it with the E-brake controller and converter.

What are the suggestions for a "factory-looking" installation (part numbers and/or sites with links would be very appreciative).

Thanks in advance for your help!

OzarkRover

Old 05-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do not use a factory look for a reason to buy a brake system. Go to a good trailer shop and see what is on the market that will work best for you and your towing requirements.
What sort of weight will you be pulling? Consider possible spring/shock replacements a tranny service, a brake flush as part of getting ready for your towing.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Thanks...the tranny service, brake job, and brake flush have already been performed.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's what I did.
This is for a '95, check the ETM in RAVE for the '98 wire colours.
If you aren't wiring trailer brakes you can use connectors with fewer poles that meet your needs, such as 4,5 or 6 pole sockets.

Vehicle side of 7Pin Trailer Socket: (second colour is trace)
Black - Ground
Red/Orange - RH Tail
Green/Purple - Stop Lights
Green/White - RH Indicator
Green/Red - LH Indicator
Red/Yellow - Rear Fog
Red/Black - LH Tail

Single Pin Socket A:
Green/Brown - Reversing light

Single Pin Socket B: 20A fuse F6 in Satellite 2 (I think)
Purple/Brown - Power
(I connected to this to supply power for the battery for the break-a-way trailer brake controller)

I got a Hoppy kit that had 7-way RV blades and 4-way flat pins (see edit below).

For connecting to the vehicle wiring I cut off the round factory connector behind the right hand panel in the rear and used uninsulated butt connectors sealed with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing to connect the wiring.
For the brake controller I ran the wiring above the headliner and mounted the brake controller to the overhead.

I drilled a hole in the bumper large enough to fit it through and installed it there. I drilled and tapped 4 8-32 holes and use stainless socket head allen screws to retain it. I put 1/4" nylon spacers between the socket and bumper because the socket is too deep to recess fully.
For the 4-way plug I used the Hoppy 48925 converter for adapting to the L/R wiring:
(edit: This converts from the European separate brake/indicator to the US common light found on most trailers)

The 4-way on this receives the 4-way from the above trailer multi socket. I cut off the round Rover factory connector and connected the wires from the LiteMate to the Rover wiring using uninsulated butt connectors and sealed them with water tight heat shrink tubing (do not use the Scotch Lock connectors).
All connections received a liberal amount of di-electric grease.

For the controller I'm using a Tekonsha P3: Brake Controllers - Tekonsha

edit:
After breaking two of the plastic Hoppy 7-blade sockets I've replaced them with good all metal Cole Hersee 7-pin sockets.
So I've gone from this
Name:  Hoppy_47185.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  20.7 KB

to this.

Name:  ColeHersee_12075-01.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  25.0 KB

If I need it, I'll install a 4-way round socket next to the 7-way.

Last edited by antichrist; 02-20-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

I get how to install the light wiring kit, but how do you connect the electric break controller to the car or the wiring kit?

Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The controllers come with instructions.
I mounted mine on the overhead and ran all the wiring, except the earth, to a rear central location.