Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Replacement Door Handle

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cylinder Replacement Door Handle

I've searched the forum and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm replacing the ignition and handle with a used one since mine bit the dust. The used handle they sent is in worse condition than my current one. Has anyone replaced just the cylinder of your door handle so that you can re-use the existing handle?

Old 07-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I think the member MIN01 had a thread where he did it, but not sure.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

Yep, I have a related thread. In my case I replaced a broken part in the door lock cylinder, but the process would be virtually the same to re-key the cylinder on your old door handle to accept the key for the new ignition cylinder you bought.

But first, just what does "bit the dust" mean? What bit the dust, the ignition or the door lock? If it was the ignition you'll be home free. If it was the door lock you maybe able to make the old one work regardless.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulax99
I've searched the forum and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm replacing the ignition and handle with a used one since mine bit the dust. The used handle they sent is in worse condition than my current one. Has anyone replaced just the cylinder of your door handle so that you can re-use the existing handle?
Yes you can drop in another cylinder. Mine had a couple of broken waffers and I was able to knock out the broken one and reinstall the remaining waffers. If I had another cylinder (waffer stack) I could have just dropped it in. I do not remember the procedure as this was a few years ago but I don’t remember having trouble getting the cylinder out. Not a whole lot of direction I know but it can be done. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by mln01
But first, just what does "bit the dust" mean? What bit the dust, the ignition or the door lock? If it was the ignition you'll be home free. If it was the door lock you maybe able to make the old one work regardless.
Bueller? Bueller?

Old 07-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry. Bit the dust, pushing daisies, went to meet its maker, took it in the shorts... the ignition switch broke

Old 07-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank for the responses. I was able to change the cylinder after a bit of fiddling with it. Here’s the order of how I did it:

1. Remove Phillips screw holding the handle cover.
2. Remove pin from backside of bracket that “holds” the handle in place. This pin is there to limit how far the handle can actually be pulled to open the door.
3. Remove the two springs attached to the door handle.
4. Pop off the cover where the cylinder is. You have to use a little bit of force to pry it loose but I don’t see any risk of damage. I disassembled/reassembled 2 different handles a couple of times attempting this and didn’t damage it.
5. Remover retaining clip and washer from the backside of the handle.
6. The cylinder can now be pushed out. Be careful to ensure the wafers don’t pop out as you pull it out. You will need a small screwdriver to depress the wafers to continue extracting the cylinder as the wafers act as stops when you try to pull it out.
7. The new cylinder can now be pushed in using the same method - using a small screwdriver to depress the wafers. Again, be careful to keep the wafers in the cylinder as you insert it
8. Reinstall the washer and clip. You may have to adjust the clip to fit tight when you reinstall by bending it lightly with a pair of needle nose pliers.
9. Repeat steps 1-4 in the reverse order to button things back up

Note: the cylinder can only be oriented one way to install properly. If you have it turned 180* incorrectly the cylinder will not seat properly against the cylinder housing, requiring you to extract the cylinder and install correctly.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Camel Trophy

I'm glad you figured it out. When I asked what you meant by "bit the dust," I should've been more specific. I meant to ask, was it the door handle that bit the dust or the ignition.

Again, I'm glad you got it worked out.